Project 13- Loosing parts

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
99_fly_by
1GN Registrant

Post by 99_fly_by » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:44 am

looking good man! ill be sure to keep an eye on this one!
Got Neon?
Vinny wrote: This forum does still serve as a neons.org alternative for times when people get sick of the politics over there and/or want to say piss/fuck/cunt like an adult should be able to.

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:57 am

Modified the 2gen seats to fold forward for rear seat access. I posted a how to for it.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

JTP
1GN n00b

Post by JTP » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:02 pm

roysneon wrote:Image
NAAAAAAAAWWWWWWZZZZ!!!

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:59 am

Dropped the exhaust, and took the exhaust manifold off yeasterday. It's actually not cracked, either. I was super surprised. Now I just need to drop the old lines. Stainless steel flex hoses are being ordered next Friday.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:27 pm

Exhaust manifold off:

Some empty space, but still too much stuff in this area:

Battery held securely in the bumper area via a hacked up stock battery tray:

Wiring for the battery relocation:

Just need some Stinger terminals now.

SloUSDM20
1GN Registrant

Post by SloUSDM20 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:45 pm

where is the how to on this? I want to relocate my battery behind the bump as well...
[One of 1gn.org's first 50] Member #41
2.4L DOHC Naturally Aspirated
Crower Stg 3 Cams, Crower Valvesprings, and more...

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:41 pm

SloUSDM20 wrote:where is the how to on this? I want to relocate my battery behind the bump as well...

I didn't post a how-to for this because honestly it's not something I'm terribly proud of. It's a ghetto rigged set up that will work well enough. If you want your battery in your bumper you can get a profesionally cut and welded metal tray made just for this here: http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=313836

If you really want some detailed pics of how I did mine, I'll pm you some pics of my monstrosity.

SloUSDM20
1GN Registrant

Post by SloUSDM20 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:05 pm

send me how you did it. Im the epitomy of DIY...LOL
[One of 1gn.org's first 50] Member #41
2.4L DOHC Naturally Aspirated
Crower Stg 3 Cams, Crower Valvesprings, and more...

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:39 am

Yesterday it was time to start on the rear suspension. The nuts on all four lateral link bolts came off very easy, leading me to believe that I may have an easy time with the rear suspension of this car as well. I was wrong :x

The outer bolts were seized to the knuckles, which wasn't a big deal as I was re-using neither the knuckles or the lateral links. The inner bolt on the driver's side was a pain, however, because the sleve for the bushing on the front side of the crossmember seized to the bolt. No problem there, though. I simply ground the head of the bolt off, burned out the bushing, and tapped it out from the front of the car to the front.

The driver's side inner was another story. It was seized to the tube going through the crossmember.

As you can see, it's still there. My plan is to grind away the welds around the tube where it goes through the "plate" on the crossmember and then weld in the one from my parts car. I went at that thing with a sledge hammer, air hammer, and a drill and cutting out the tube part and putting in a new one is probably going to be the easiest and best thing to do, because the tube itself is kind of cut up from the grinder :oops:

This is how much crap fell off of the bottom of the car. Weight reduction?

The fuel filler neck also had a nice rust hole in it. Luckily I have a couple good ones here to choose from.

That's all for now, Wednesday night I'll be out working on it again.

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Well, I think I've taut the car not to fuck with me, because I have an angle grinder and I'm not afraid to cut into a Neon.

I'm going to be cutting a tube out of a parts car tomorrow and having my dad weld it in for me as soon as he has time.

On the driver's side, the car got its first taste of poly bushings:

I made sure to use a lot more neverseize than necessary on this stuff to make sure it won't be siezed when I have to take it apart again in the future.

Now for the suspension issues on the front... I honestly don't know too much about the cars history, besides that it was a theft recovery and the previous owner bought it cheap at an auction and never got into fixing all this stuff. I wonder if this is from the theft attempt?:

Severly bulged strut tower

bent tie rod:

Luckily it won't be too super hardto grind out the spot welds and tac in a new plate.

More grinder/welder action in the cards. I'll try to work on that type of stuff tomorrow after work.

1gnR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by 1gnR/T » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:51 pm

Do you buy all your neon's from the junkyard?

neon_freak
1GN Registrant

Post by neon_freak » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:43 pm

rust angers me
95 strawberry coupe mtx sohc

pacesetter header/catback, sts, boogers, 3.0, atx tb, ported intake, mp ecu, solid bobble strut, magnecor wires

98 white rt coupe mtx 2.4

mopar ecu, egr kit. ur street pulley, mpx 60mm, iceman, msd wires/coil, solid mounts, ractive header, vibrant muffler

old 2.0-145.4hp@6161rpm, 134.5tq@5218rpm

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:07 pm

I got the rear suspension mostly assembled tonight, painted the euro mirrors, and I just got finished buying stainelss steel flex hoses from Modern.

As far as the stuck bolt, The problem was solved by a combination of grinder, machine shop, more grinder, thick sheet metal and a welder.

Pics soon.

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:24 am

Passenger's side inner lateral link bolt solution:

All the lateral links and knuckles installed.

This thing will be donating it's strut tower upper plate and K-frame before I call for it to be towed away.

srt4eh
1GN Registrant

Post by srt4eh » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:01 am

theres still good stuff on there...lol
98 Neon R/T, 00 Neon, 06 Jeep GC SRT-8