98 R/T ATX

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:02 pm

^^^ That was already covered on his Introduce Yourself post

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:45 pm

Archametes wrote:Sit tight young grasshopper, in time you will learn. We weren't born with this knowledge either.
lol. Thanks, I will get the hang of it I'm sure.

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:48 pm

sohc98 wrote:
98neon_r/t wrote:Yea I think so too. Like I said I don't know much about cars so I guess I will have to figure it out. I wouldn't know where to begin...is there a forum somewhere to kind of guide me to doing it? I don't even know what kind of tranny to buy or anything..
The tranny depends on what you want from it, if you want good gas mileage go with the mtx from a sohc car, or for some more get up and go get a trans from a mtx r/t.

Besides the trans you would need this stuff.
axles
booger bushings (not needed but well worth the $$)
shifter
brake/clutch pedal
transmission mount
shifter linkage
clutch & flywheel (or get the pt modular right off the bat)
rear main seal (not needed but its a prevenative thing)
PCM (not required but if ya want to switch it go ahead)

Thats all i can think of now, Im sure if i missed something someone will chime in.
Well...I know what some of that stuff is. I think I am going to go book shopping next time I get the chance...I need to learn something.

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:52 pm

suave23 wrote:Nobody's going to speak up and say that...

NO R/T's EVER CAME WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!

...?

What's wrong with you guys?

BTW, I'm about 45 minutes away from Circleville.
Yea I didn't think so either...the dealer said it was "a rare car" lmao

I was talking to a few guys last night here in town and they said a friend of theirs had this car...I guess he had a 2.4 in the car with a MTX and when he sold the car he stripped it and sold it to someone w/o the motor. My guess is someone bought it, put a stock motor in with an ATX?? So therefore idk how many miles are on the car.

Ooooh yea, when I bought the car I had to buy a new engine computer...I picked it up from the junkyard for an R/T, a mechanic said my car was "running rich" and it needed a new one...?

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Stockers in.

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:02 pm

sohc98 wrote:
And whats with the funnel???
Not sure...lol

It was there when I bought the car so I kept it there

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:27 pm

You didn't pull the badges off when you painted it?
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 pm

INVUJerry wrote:You didn't pull the badges off when you painted it?
No...dumbass attack...I need to do some more body work and then I will reshoot the car. I 'm planning on HOPEFULLY doing some engine work this winter.

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:04 am

I noticed something yesterday...I looked at my old engine computer and it had the vin number for my car on it...y was it making my car "run rich" and idle high? Could it have been because there is an ATX in there not an MTX?

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:32 pm

Yeah that could be the reason, mine does the same thing with an MTX computer in it too...

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:46 pm

It would idle so high the seats would shake lol

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:51 pm

Mine does that anyway with the solid motor mounts, and it looks like a "shaker" hood! I'll take vibration for better response and performance any day.

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:30 pm

All my girlfriend did was complain she was "vibrating" 8)

Well tomorrow I'm not so busy so I think I may take a look under the steering wheel towards the fire wall and see if there is any indication of a clutch or cabling that was/is there.

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:33 am

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been posting. Once again I've been busy with work and cleaning the garage. I had some time to snap a few pics. though. I NEED TO GET SOME NEW HEADLIGHTS. I don't know if the bulbs change in them but they suck. I wanna get the depos now. I like the look but I can't see shit at night. Also the rear pic is where I backed into a little tree lmao. That needs fixed.

I still have the ATX. Honesty I still want to MTX. I've drove a stick when I was very young for a very short time. My dad is going to have to reteach me. Anyways, I want one!! Any body willing do the the swap for a few hundred extra bucks let me know. I took the car to my uncles last night and had it up on the lift, and HOLY SHIT. There was oil sprayed all over the place. He said it was most likely the valve cover gasket or something so I'm getting that fixed late this week and get it cleaned up.

98neon_r/t
1GN Registrant

Post by 98neon_r/t » Thu May 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Few updated pics...not much...I have an oil leak that is currently being fixed...I thought it was the gasket? NOPE, the holes that the bolts go into to hold the valve cover were stripped and are being re-threaded....hopefully no more leaks...made my engine look like shit though...it's going to need some cleaning. I also painted the hood. I'm looking into getting a new car so this will be my DD but I still want to keep working on it...gives me something to do. I want the stripes removed and repainted to be a stock black neon. I either want an SRT4 for my new car...or possibly a VW rabbit or R32