Speedy on a budget

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
billytheneon
1GN Registrant

Speedy on a budget

Post by billytheneon » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:36 am

So after oh, 7 months of dicken around, I've finally gotten enough balls to accually get him back on the streets where he belongs. Back in april it started leaking oil, but not so bad that you couldn't drive it. Then one day a few months later I don't make it more than 150ft. out of my driveway and there's a solid black line following me. Turned out the rear main seal was shot. So I decided to pull the motor in hopes of swapping in a 2.4, but the motor that I got was shit and I didn't have the money to give it the rebuild that it would need. So now that I have a car that doesn't run and a motor, well two, that are no good, the car has sat in the same sad position for months. Now that school is starting and I acually have a job that can help me fund this little project, I can finally get back into the neon scene full swing.

I don't really have BIG plans for it right now because of school and everything, but I do wanna make it as nice as possible. Originally It started out as a SOHC atx, but thanks to monkeyman I'll be making a trip this weekend to get my full MTX swap. After everything gets running right then I'm gonna try and get my hands on a decent DOHC engine, eventually it'll get turbo'd but that'll be way down the road.

Mind you that this is gonna be decently long build, aside from getting it running, its gonna get subs, video, nitrous, the works. Just gotta keep my eye out for all the deals. Many-a-times I've thought about just selling it and buying a monte carlo or a regal, but I've come to realize (as pathetic as this is gonna sound) that I just can't let him go.

Here's the pics, not in bad shape for a cincy car:
Clean the engine off a little bit with some steel wool (no I didn't go over the head). Tried to polish some things out. Replaced the rear main seal, along with the cam seal, vavle cover, oil pan, and new timing belt
Don't worry about the gun.... its not real :lol:

I'll post more this weekend when I get the swap.

billytheneon
1GN Registrant

Post by billytheneon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:39 pm

Just got the swap kit from josh(monkeyman) yesterday. Gotta get it all cleaned up first, I'll also need to get the K-member, unless there's a how-to on using an atx frame. Also got a filled tranny mount too. I'll start everything either tomorrow or when it warms up

enjoy

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:20 pm

you can use the ATX k memeber you just got weld on your own boble strut bracket. but since you have the engine out i would get a MTX one

billytheneon
1GN Registrant

Post by billytheneon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:32 pm

Yea, I was thinkin about welding one on but I can pick one up at the JY for about 40 bucks, I'm tryin to find one as a cheap as possible but I don't know if that's a good deal or not. If anyone in the area has one pm me

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:56 pm

YAY!!! i was wondering if there was a thread for this!!! best of luck man!
-Lugo-

billytheneon
1GN Registrant

Post by billytheneon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:09 pm

thanks, i hope to get this started as soon as possible, but I lost the key and have to go get the replacement. plus I have no heater for the garage and it's only it a high of about 36 today, damn ohio weather.

stay tuned

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:23 am

I really have a lot of respect for you people (re)building Neons for weeks/months long. Just 5 days of work on mine made me think "never again".

UTA