Top End SOHC Completetion nears.....HID update

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:04 am

chipdogg wrote:Well I hoped you would, if you have the springs out, might as well put in new seals. I just put new ones in the spare head I have today. Keepers are a bitch to put in BTW.
Thats the plan man , Im not leaving anything undone. If I have the damn thing apart I may as well do everything. Do it right or dont do it at all.

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:18 pm

Well did a compression check , cylinders 1, 3, and 4 all came back with 17x across the board , but cylinder 2 was 200 , Huge amounts of carbon build up in there , as well as oil. There was minor carbon buildup in the other cylinders as well as a little oil. Dont know the proper term for the part is , but the sparkplug tubes need to be replaced as well as resealed. So no worries , as Im swapping the head.

On another positve note I may have the opportunity trade my indy for a AFX ecu . Im crossing my fingers as that would be something else I wouldnt need to pick up. wooooo

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:43 pm

Well Im happy to say that the AFX street ecu is on its way to me as well as an AEM cam gear , now all I need is the cam and the head is off to the shop.

Very anxious , can wait for xmas to be over already :)

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:20 am

Installed the AFX street ECU. Havent hammered on it at WOT yet , Im still going around town at half. So far though the throttle response is improved, and feels a little more peppy and it definetly wants to go. This is of course all according to the butt dyno :)

SloUSDM20
1GN Registrant

Post by SloUSDM20 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:15 pm

hey Ray, how is that SOHC build coming along?
[One of 1gn.org's first 50] Member #41
2.4L DOHC Naturally Aspirated
Crower Stg 3 Cams, Crower Valvesprings, and more...

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:26 pm

SloUSDM20 wrote:hey Ray, how is that SOHC build coming along?
Picking up my cam gear tomorrow , and going to be ordering the 400 this weekend. Or pick up a carbon fiber hood. I havent fully decided. Either way the head is going to be dropped off at the machine shop around the 16th of January.

So yeah in the end with the parts already on the vehicle the complete build is going to contain

Race Port/polished head intake and exhaust sides
3 angle valve job with indy OS stainless valves
Comp 400
aem 3 bolt cam gear
Magnum springs and retainers
mpx 60mm TB
Iceman intake
TTI longtube header
dynomax 2.5 exhaust piping
vibrant dual muffler
AFX street pcm
mpx UDP

Im hoping for some reasonable gains. Anything over stock should prove to be more peppy so thats all Im looking for.

SloUSDM20
1GN Registrant

Post by SloUSDM20 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:47 pm

yea you should be pretty decent in power. I got a DOHC PCM on the way and Im ordering an OBX LT header next week after rent.

another way to give your car a little extra power is to swap a DOHC bottom end. this is what Im working with...

Ported head(exhaust side)
ATX TB ported to 55mm
Crane #12
Crane valvetrain
Chikara ST
Catco 2.5" Cat
2.5" piping
Summit turbo muffler
Fidanza Cam gear(adv. 2*)
DOHC bottom end
OBX UDP
Prothane MM inserts
Mopar FMM
MSD coil
Mopar EGR block
Fidanza 2.1 clutch
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
3.0l intake
[One of 1gn.org's first 50] Member #41
2.4L DOHC Naturally Aspirated
Crower Stg 3 Cams, Crower Valvesprings, and more...

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:18 pm

well things got a little set back , mainly due to me buying a carbon fiber hood. Good news is I pick up a crane 14 tomorrow. Thats the last piece of the puzzle. I should be goin by the machine shop to drop off all the parts for assembly/porting/valve job....etc.

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:45 pm

Picked up crane 14 on friday the first. Off to the machine shop it goes, after far too many delays.

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:52 pm

Well Im pleased to say that the head and all associated parts have been dropped off at CHS Performance.

woot woot , I wont know till tomorrow how long they will have it. Whatever the case they have it so it would be back in my hands sooner than later.

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:14 am

Well after a month and a half I come to find out that the work hasnt even started on my head. Due to the fact that the owner had his entire crew walk out on him. I wasnt promised anything in terms of a time frame , but I talked to the owner of the shop yesterday and I should have it completed and on the car by next weekend.

Im crossing my fingers.

In the mean time Ive ordered a 6000k HID kit for the depos.

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:22 am

Got my 6000k HID kit installed and aimed

I kept the camera stationary but they still turned out blurry. Ill have to mess with the camera settings to get a better pic .But as you can see the cut off is nice and clean, and very bright.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:09 pm

very nice! how much did those run you? (sorry if its posted i didnt really read it.. just skimmed :D )
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:22 pm

Ladi3sman55 wrote:very nice! how much did those run you? (sorry if its posted i didnt really read it.. just skimmed :D )
130 shipped, if your looking for a set for yourself I had been milling around the idea of doing a small group buy.. They are warrantied for 14 months, and the company is based out of Va. They arent the cheapo Chinese eBay HIDs.