Bringin' back the SOHC.

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
APN
1GN Registrant

Bringin' back the SOHC.

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 am

To start off, I'd just like to explain how my car ended up in this predicament.

I was driving on August 23rd, after a tornado warning/storm passed through, to go pick up my friend to chill at my other friend's house. I drove to her house and picked her up. On the way from her house, I went the same way I came (I came through 20 minutes earlier). On the way past Parkside Dr. and Home St. in Sycamore, IL, and it just looked like the street was wet. I kept going, because I thought it was just the street, and it turned out I was running into two feet of water. I bogged down my car because it had no air (I don't think I ingested any water at this time)... Me not thinking about my CAI, tried to start my motor (gulp gulp), and I sucked in a bunch of water... Popped the intake and looked in and there's like 1.5 inches of water sitting in the manifold.

After that, we pushed the car out of the water to the side of the street (where it was dry), and left it overnight to be towed in the morning... The next morning, I went back to where it was (A mile and a half away), and waited for the tow truck... It was scheduled to be there at 8:30am (the time I set it up for the night previous), and I got there at 8:00 just to make sure.

When I got to my car, I opened it up, and there was at least two feet of water in it. So I wait in my mom's car for two hours and the tow truck still isn't there. Called the tow company and the asshole that was supposed to give my info to the person that was dispatching the next morning didn't give it to her, so I finally got my car towed to my shop around noon.

Pulled the spark plugs and fuel pump fuse after vacuuming out the intake manifold, and shot water from cylinders one and two about ten feet in front of the car.did two oil changes, then tried to start it up... Took about five to ten minutes to get it started, and it ended up sounding like this...

Did one more oil change on it with good oil and filter, and took it next door to have it diagnosed. Mechanic said it was a rod knock, and it didn't have long to live.

Sooooo.... I got to thinking what I'm going to do... Get a new car or fix my neon. Turns out I only had $200 to my name, and I couldn't afford a new car at the time. So I found Dan on 1gn and managed to score a whole donor neon for $200. On the way up to pick it up, the U-Haul trailer's brake light harness had all of it's wires rubbed raw, and it shorted out our running lights. Turns out in my dad's Toyota Tacoma has a safety feature that won't let you shift from park if the lights are out, so we re-wired the damn tow dolly and drove the rest of the way up there...

When we got there, we came to this little piece of work.

We went to look at how we were going to put it on the dolly when we realized that the whole damn suspension other than the strut was snapped and/or cut, including the axle not being attached on the motor side.

So there was no way we were driving this thing 100 miles home on a dolly like this, and we had this guy weld up all the broken pieces.

and got it home ok by midnight.
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:17 am

So I started tearing the donor apart...

Only bolts broken so far were the A/C line to the condenser and a few holding the wheel well plastic pieces in place...

(Antifreeze burns on cuts)
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:19 am

Last edited by APN on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
APN wrote:

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:04 am

have fun man

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:59 am

As always :]
APN wrote:

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:30 pm

More pix up.
APN wrote:

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:32 pm

that thing isn't out yet?
sheesh get-ir-done boy.

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:31 pm

Skill wrote:that thing isn't out yet?
sheesh get-ir-done boy.
Only thing I have to drop it down to the floor with is a jack and then I still need to lift the car over it...

If I was worried about just the engine and not parting out the rest, I would have hacked that harness to bits. :lol:
APN wrote:

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:49 pm

that harness can be sold i'd keep the engine harness.

(i'd personally keep it and start a wire tuck with that extra one, but that's just me)

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Skill wrote:that harness can be sold i'd keep the engine harness.

(i'd personally keep it and start a wire tuck with that extra one, but that's just me)
I don't really have an interest in a wire tuck... Seems a bit pointless as I do not really show off my engine bay.
APN wrote:

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:24 pm

APN wrote:

I don't really have an interest in a wire tuck... Seems a bit pointless as I do not really show off my engine bay.
beacuse you have no reason to yet.
make a reason.

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:36 pm

Skill wrote:
APN wrote:

beacuse you have no reason to yet.
make a reason.
Ryan... Sorry to sound so blunt or even rude, but I don't have the money to make a reason for me to have to do a wire tuck on my engine bay.

It won't be happening any time soon lol. I still have to pay my parents back $200 for this donor car I got and I don't get paid till next Friday.

Hey, just a question, but by any chance would you be interested in driving down to Sycamore, IL to help me swap the motor in?

I have this strange feeling that I'll forget to plug some sensors back in or forget a ground and really be screwed lol...
APN wrote:

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:51 pm

That'd be a hella drive for that .. 3-4 hours.
If i'm doing absolutely nothing let me know when ur swapping and i could possibly do it.
But i'm pretty busy so it's gonna be a slim chance.

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:54 pm

Skill wrote:That'd be a hella drive for that .. 3-4 hours.
If i'm doing absolutely nothing let me know when ur swapping and i could possibly do it.
Sounds good man... Don't worry... I don't want to waste your money/gas just to help some stupid kid getting a motor in his car, especially when I have no way to pay you immediately back.
APN wrote:

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:56 pm

APN wrote:
Skill wrote:That'd be a hella drive for that .. 3-4 hours.
Sounds good man... Don't worry... I don't want to waste your money/gas just to help some stupid kid getting a motor in his car, especially when I have no way to pay you immediately back.
Id come and help ya if I was closer man. But thats like a 7 hour drive one way.....Defineately be a rough one! I know your in a shitty situation, but its too far.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'