SRT Rim Swap

Have a question on outside appearance modifications. Questions about body kits, exterior lighting, just anything thats a visual mod on the "exterior" of the car. Ask those questions here.
FiRnoEvO
1GN Registrant

SRT Rim Swap

Post by FiRnoEvO » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:11 pm

I recently swapped out my stock R/T rims for stock SRT rims. Painted black and wrapped in 225/45R17's.

All looked good at first. Didnt have any trouble mounting the rims, everything fit very well in the wheel well, and wheel spacers were not needed.

After completing the swap i started to notice that my front two rims, sit back in the wheel well a little (towards the rear of the car), but figured it was jus the way i had my wheel cut.

So i cut the wheel all the way to the left and right, clearance was good, didnt have a problem with the turning radius and nothing was rubbing. So I didnt worry too much about it and left it be. I liked the new look and spent some time taking pictures and admiring my handy work.

Later that day a buddy of mine, called about doing some work to his car and my cousin and myself decided we would go help him out, we all have a mopar club together and needed some new material anyways so i was gonna drive the r/t and my cuz took his srt. About 2 min down the road i noticed my cousin beeping his horn and waving me down. I stopped and was surprised to find out that i had been spewing smoke. Not smelling like oil or anything else i knew it was my tires. I cut the wheel to find the inside tread on the front tires (mainly the front pass side tire) was shredded. Apparently I had miscalculated the strut room and my tires had been scraping it while driving...

So now my solution consist of either grabbing some wheel spacers from autozone or switching out the tires to a 35 low pro.... any input?

fattirebicycles
1GN Registrant

Post by fattirebicycles » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:50 pm

205/40/17 is the factory equivalent for the 1st gen. 23.45xxx inches. 8.07 inches wide.

185/65/14 factory size. 23.46xxx inches.
225/45/17 24.97xx inches. 8.85 inches wide. the tire got 1.5" taller and 3/4" wider.
Yeah, I'm the Bobble Strut Relocate Kit Guy.
And the Bolt-on Bobble Strut Mount Guy.
AAAnd the PDC Mount Guy.
And the Bumper Battery Tray Guy.
And the Strut Saver Strut Mount Guy.
Jeez. I'm like 5 Guys. I could be my own poker team.

JmAnneonrt
1GN Registrant

Post by JmAnneonrt » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:04 pm

i was gonna say the same those are to big should have 205/40/17s and you should clear then

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:08 pm

you can even run 215/40's but not much wider or taller.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

Braz
1GN Registrant

Post by Braz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Dude that smelled Horrible, good thing i got ya stopped lol
Image"just a neon"

FiRnoEvO
1GN Registrant

Post by FiRnoEvO » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 pm

i didnt even notice the smoke jus the smell... plus i was going way to fast... no brakes ya kno lol ahahahahahaha