Rear Disc Brakes

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power? Questions about 1st gen Neon suspension, steering and braking systems belong right here!
Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Rear Disc Brakes

Post by Wolfemancola » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:56 am

now all of you have probably heard this question before, but i can't find answers any where else. so i found a 95 NYG Neon ACR near my city and the owner wants to part it out and i want to start converting my neon to an ACR. so ffirst i need to convert my rear drum set up to disc since it looks so much better imo.

now here is the question: what are all the components that i will need to do a full converion. i need to know this before i do it because i need to know what i need to buy off of this guy. it would really help to have the answer instead of just guessing. thanks.
My car:
1998 Plymouth Neon EX 2-door coupe DOHC 5-speed with Cruise Control
ATX Throttle body, 3.0 intake with K&N filter, Mopar PCM, mopar motor mount with inserts, Booger Bushings, Rear view mirror with dual lights.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:32 am

To do it properly, get the entire rear disc setup. That means, to do it easily, get the rear brake lines and the rear spindles with hubs and bearings and everything. Then you'll want the master cylinder and the proportioning valve. The proportioning valve is kind of integrated. Does your car have ABS already?

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 pm

2drSRT4 wrote:To do it properly, get the entire rear disc setup. That means, to do it easily, get the rear brake lines and the rear spindles with hubs and bearings and everything. Then you'll want the master cylinder and the proportioning valve. The proportioning valve is kind of integrated. Does your car have ABS already?
yeah your right, that would probably be the easiest way to do it but its still going to be a lot of work. and no i don't have ABS.
My car:
ATX Throttle body, 3.0 intake with K&N filter, Mopar PCM, mopar motor mount with inserts, Booger Bushings, Rear view mirror with dual lights.

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:48 pm

You're going to need to find a car that came with rear brakes and no ABS. I don't think there were such cars optioned like that, but who knows. You never know what you can find.

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:29 am

my r/t has rear disc, and no abs.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:53 pm

My 99 had four wheel disk and no abs

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:33 pm

i bought a whole r/t parts car and im in the middle of the swap right now. my car doesn't have abs and the r/t does, and also were gonna try the swap with out changing the master cylender so i dont know if its going to work.
Last edited by Wolfemancola on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My car:

ricker91878
1GN Registrant

Post by ricker91878 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Unless I read it wrong abs was never an option on 1st gens, don't know about 2nd gens. Trust me your better off without it.
99 2 dr R/T DOHC coupe, all the bells and whistles...

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm

ricker91878 wrote:Unless I read it wrong abs was never an option on 1st gens, don't know about 2nd gens. Trust me your better off without it.
Neons did have ABS, but it is a rarely seen option.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:13 am

thanks for your help guys, but i found all of the info i need on the big .org. you do not even need to change the master cylender for it to work. heres the link for a full how to: http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=142267
hopefully ill have it done this week end. i also took the R/T rims from the same car so my neon looks almost like a full R/T now.
My car:

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:56 am

sorry i didnt read the last few posts in time but yeah you dont need to change the master.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!