coilover help new member!

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power? Questions about 1st gen Neon suspension, steering and braking systems belong right here!
DuztynDuGaz
1GN Registrant

coilover help new member!

Post by DuztynDuGaz » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:38 pm

hi umm im new to the site i just join to see if you guys could help me....today i just finished painting my 1999 plymouth neon (two ton) taking the tape off was like a kid taking and unwraping a gift for xmas.... how ever the fancy sound system body kit and now paint wasnt enough...i want the car slammed....i have dsm eagle talon coilovers i wanna put on my factory struts now.. b4 you reply YES i know the struts will blow and yes i know it will be a rough and bumpy ride... and yes i know i shouldnt do it but how ever till i save up for some ksports this is what i have to work with... so what do i have to do to get them to work...i cut the pearch(how ever its spelt) and yes i know my spelling is horrible(bare with me) so once the pearch is smaller whats next ... do i have to find a flared pipe or anything that wikll go in the sleeve and fit on the bottom of the strut ? i dont wanna sound like a drag but im a go getter so i wanna start tomo! i dont know if this site allows pictures on threads or not but if they do not please in box me and i will send you my e mail. thank you

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:56 pm

im assuming your taling about the spring pearch. i would have suggested if it was going to just be temporary to simply remove your struts properly dissasemble them and cut the factory spring. but as for coil overs ive never worked with them myself yet

DuztynDuGaz
1GN Registrant

Post by DuztynDuGaz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:04 am

i was thinking cut spring but i can adjust ride hieght and some of the roads around here are pretty bad and id hate to ruin my front bumper of my shaved on side skirts you know? and cutting spring you just never get them dead on. thanks for the reply tho! and yes i was talking about the spring pearch :D

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:39 am

Just cut the spring perch (perch not pearch little fyi) and add a spacer or some sort of way to hold the new perch that should be adjustable on the threaded tube.

charger440neon2.0l
1GN Registrant

Post by charger440neon2.0l » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:53 am

you want it slammed? just get a fat bitch to ride in your car, grease her ass up and throw a box of Twinkies in the center console. when you come to a pot hole put a twinkie in the hole and she'll find a way to get out of the car and get it then when shes filling in the hole drive over her and then you get the lift and never have to fall in the pot hole. You win twice!!

really if roads are bad then dont lower it, what are you gonna do stop jack up the car adjust height reset camber and toe drive over the bad road then stop and put it back the way it was. Oh wait factory struts are not slotted so you will need to slot them to adjust camber or when you lower it you will get very bad tire wear on either the inside or outside edges of the tire.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:13 am

agreed, if your worried about roads then dont slam it. or you could put a full air suspension setup on it. then set up for cruising low and if u get a bad road u just lift it up. plus air rid rides phenominal if done right.

DuztynDuGaz
1GN Registrant

Post by DuztynDuGaz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:52 am

im not saying id get out and do it on the street im saying if i know , i gotta go down a bad road id do it the day b4 kinda thing....and as the camber issue you mentioned.... i have 32 way adjustable camber plates from a right hand drive rx7 cf my buddy gave me so once this is all togather ill take them to my guardains machine shop and have the plate it self taking off and get a new one built with my bolt pattern....and by the way this threads going i think im gonna look on the net for another place to get my answer... im here to read about neons and for help... if i wanted to put up with bad humor id go see my real dad and sit there and listen to him smack talk my neon for meing a lil gokart with no v8 in it .... so id like to get REAL answers

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:58 pm

i wasnt trying to smack talk anything man calm down. were both just saying that your trying to make things really hard on yourself. and not just u but if anybody was going to have to worry about bad roads i would tell them the same thing and to either not do it or put a air suspension on it to make it easier for when they do come across a bad road. because what are you going to do when you come across a road u didnt know was bad? i specifically said that i didnt know how to work with coil overs. so i threw out the idea of a cut spring then the idea of air suspension

DuztynDuGaz
1GN Registrant

Post by DuztynDuGaz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:03 pm

no i understand what you are trying to say but .... like i said till i save up for ksports this is what i have to work with.... and this is what i have to do...i have my back struts off and i cant seem to break the nut lose.... so im gonna bust the nut into 2 peaces and get a new one...my garage got broken into so i dont have a inpack gun(whitch really sucks)

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:49 pm

do u have the spring compressed on the strut? if not then dont take that top nut off. because it will blow apart and could litterly kill you.

and this is just my .02 but if your going to save up to put ksports on it why not just wait and do it then? it makes more sense to me man

DuztynDuGaz
1GN Registrant

Post by DuztynDuGaz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:53 pm

i boxed the springs in around some thick metal b4 i poped the tops off! goes going very well

DuztynDuGaz
1GN Registrant

Post by DuztynDuGaz » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:35 pm

ummm ok heres a problem i ran into i just put the first coilovers on the car and it lifted it 2-2.5 inches higher ???? is it cuase i used the factory top plate ?

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:21 pm

my first guess is because there not for that car.

DuztynDuGaz
1GN Registrant

Post by DuztynDuGaz » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:27 pm

ummm there for a eclipes/talon i looked up the specs and the springs and everything are the same as the ones u get for a neon....why it lift my car up shouldnt they slamm it ... but ill explain more i didnt cut the pearch yet to make sure they would fit first.... so what do you guys think ill have to do cut the pearch off and weld somthing lower down on the strut its self( i only did one strut and it was one of the back ones)