Suggestions to tighten up the emergency brakes?

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power? Questions about 1st gen Neon suspension, steering and braking systems belong right here!
rlneon
1GN Registrant

Post by rlneon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:51 pm

It is called a parking brake not an emrgency brake, it is made to hold the car while it is stoped and not to be used in "emergencies" becasue it will make the situation worse. The best way in my experence is to do as The Lost Neon said.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:35 pm

The Lost Neon wrote:The proper way to adjust your e-brakes

1-The auto adjusters don't work so..

2-put your e- brake 3-4 clicks up on the handle

3- block front wheels and use a proper jack (not the POC in your trunk)

4-remove the wheel

5-remove the rubber cover on the back of the brake backing plate

6- adjust the "star" wheel until it is hard to turn the drum forward and impossible to turn in reverse with your hands (or a large screw driver between the studs)

7- put wheel back on and perform to other side and your done.
shouldnt you put your car back down? :lol:

and you CAN drift in a neon!! if you disagree with me feel free to pm me so this thead doesnt get jacked :D
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:00 am

That's probably what they done here when they adjusted my rear disc brakes for the same reason.

UTA

pettersen
1GN Registrant

Post by pettersen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:30 am

Its impossible to drift with a Fwd, you can slide but you cant drift...

When you drift you use wheel spin to get your rear out and keep it out, Locking the wheels and slide is not the same thing.

And in Norway its named Parking Brake.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:33 pm

ha time for some thread jacking..

first can i ask where you got your definition of drifting? or did you just make it up?

anyways.. drifiting is the art of loosing traction in the rear tires.. there are different ways of doing so and one of the ways to execute a drift is by applying the ebrake to lock up the rear tires making the rear tires loose traction aka drifting
its true that it is much easier to drift in a rwd car but you dont have to have a rwd car to drift.. even awd cars can drift..

here is a source if you'd like it..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drifting_%28motorsport%29

i know i know wiki isnt always acurate but i am yet to see it fail me or anyone else..
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.

powered_by_a_dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by powered_by_a_dohc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:17 pm

RTizzle wrote:Ryan that won't do anything at all. The ebrake is separate from your normal brakes.
nope there not separate at all actually ..the mechanizum to engage the e-brake is within the rear brake shoes (its all one unit). What hes talking about is right since the rear brake setup in neons are Dual servo (uses a star wheel) you just put the car in revearse and use the e-brake to stop. If there is any adjustments to be made it will make it its self.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 pm

fyi i tried this and it did tighten it up.. i thought it was a bunch of bull shit but it works :D
The definition of a NEON

farmboy
1GN Registrant

Post by farmboy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:39 pm

so how do you tighten rear disc brakes? i have to pull my e-brake handle all the way up (it literally won't go up any further)?