Suggestions to tighten up the emergency brakes?

Have some questions about how to achive better handling and stopping power? Questions about 1st gen Neon suspension, steering and braking systems belong right here!
APN
1GN Registrant

Suggestions to tighten up the emergency brakes?

Post by APN » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:31 am

Well.. I tried to adjust them using the access thing in the black of the drum where the little rubber plug is, but if you tighten it too much the tire won't spin or will drag when driving.. I want to tighten up my e-brake for a little friendly drifting, but I was wondering what I could do to it to make it not drag while driving, but still lock up when the e-brake it pulled. Is it just a matter of a different kind of drum or what?
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

unlivedage
1GN Registrant

Post by unlivedage » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:10 am

if im not mistaken if you engage the e-brake then put the car it reverse and gas it a little bit the brake tightens itself

krat0s
1GN Registrant

Re: Suggestions to tighten up the emergency brakes?

Post by krat0s » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:40 am

stkneon wrote:Well.. I tried to adjust them using the access thing in the black of the drum where the little rubber plug is, but if you tighten it too much the tire won't spin or will drag when driving.. I want to tighten up my e-brake for a little friendly drifting, but I was wondering what I could do to it to make it not drag while driving, but still lock up when the e-brake it pulled. Is it just a matter of a different kind of drum or what?
It is NOT drifting, what you are talking about is butt-sliding is and is dumb.

Neons don't drift.
-Tom

1995 Dodge Neon SOHC / MTX / AAR Stripes / Brilliant Blisterin' Blue
Enkei / Firestone / Iceman / Pacesetter / Dynomax / Mopar

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:40 am

krat0s wrote:
stkneon wrote:Well.. I tried to adjust them using the access thing in the black of the drum where the little rubber plug is, but if you tighten it too much the tire won't spin or will drag when driving.. I want to tighten up my e-brake for a little friendly drifting, but I was wondering what I could do to it to make it not drag while driving, but still lock up when the e-brake it pulled. Is it just a matter of a different kind of drum or what?

Neons don't drift.

shhhhh! They do now.

PS: I know you need around 300 HP to actually do any decent drifting LOL.
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:13 am

unlivedage wrote:if im not mistaken if you engage the e-brake then put the car it reverse and gas it a little bit the brake tightens itself
actually ... leave the car in neutral, pull the ebrake all the way as far as it can go up, then begin to pump the foot brake slowly(multiple times) as far down as it can go. That should tighten the e-brake a little bit, but won't get it near as tight as it should be my doing it manually.

RTizzle
1GN Registrant

Post by RTizzle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:04 pm

Ryan that won't do anything at all. The ebrake is separate from your normal brakes.

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:07 pm

RTizzle wrote:Ryan that won't do anything at all. The ebrake is separate from your normal brakes.
I've heard that somewhere ... trust me i have i just wouldn't make it up lol. It may be a different way to do it but i know there is a way that correlates to what i said above.
Last edited by Lackof on Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:07 pm

RTizzle wrote:Ryan that won't do anything at all. The ebrake is separate from your normal brakes.
The cable for it is, but it still uses the same rear brakes that the normal ones use.
APN wrote:

DMez
1GN Registrant

Post by DMez » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:33 pm

krat0s wrote:

Neons don't drift.

Anti-Dorifto

You can make any car drift...true RWD are ideal, but any car CAN do it. :twisted: Thats why i love it when its wet/slippery out either from rain or snow.
Excellence is a decision you make every day...

RTizzle
1GN Registrant

Post by RTizzle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:36 pm

No the rear ebrake has its own little pads. If you get under the car there is alittle rubber plug on the rear dust shield. Under neither the plug there is a star shape screw. If you rotate it clock wise it tightens the ebrake up. Make sure not to have the ebrake engaged while doing so.

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:38 pm

RTizzle wrote:No the rear ebrake has its own little pads. If you get under the car there is alittle rubber plug on the rear dust shield. Under neither the plug there is a star shape screw. If you rotate it clock wise it tightens the ebrake up. Make sure not to have the ebrake engaged while doing so.
i can bet you if you go and try the method i mentioned you will see that it works ;) i used to do it on my 95 neon cuz i was way to lazy to do that.

EDIT* However this may only apply to drum brakes and not all disc ..... that is the method i described above for those getting lost/confused.

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:53 pm

The only 2 ways that I know of are to access the adjustment screw from the rear of the drum (on drum brakes) or the going in reverse and hitting the brakes kinda hard....it sounds odd but it works...you may need to do it more than once depending on how stretched the cables are. Also if you tighten it and still get nowhere you may want to have the shoes and drums replaced... they may be too worn out. Just my 2 cents worth... :munky2:

RTizzle
1GN Registrant

Post by RTizzle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:58 pm

Skill wrote:
RTizzle wrote:No the rear ebrake has its own little pads. If you get under the car there is alittle rubber plug on the rear dust shield. Under neither the plug there is a star shape screw. If you rotate it clock wise it tightens the ebrake up. Make sure not to have the ebrake engaged while doing so.
i can bet you if you go and try the method i mentioned you will see that it works ;) i used to do it on my 95 neon cuz i was way to lazy to do that.

EDIT* However this may only apply to drum brakes and not all disc ..... that is the method i described above for those getting lost/confused.
Yea I've never adjusted non-disc brake ebrakes before.

BlueR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by BlueR/T » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:41 am

time to threadjack

why is it called an "emergency" brake, if you ever pull that in any emergency, i.e. loss of control, your only going to make your situation worse???

if you want to brake slide,(the proper term for ebrake drifting) then you will need to convert to disc brakes, drum brakes wear out far too easily,

at most you will get 3-4 slides on dry pavement before your brakes are shot,

but you can do it as much as you want with disc brakes (till your tires wear out)

and get a bunch of cones, go into an empty parking lot and start practicing, its all fun and games until you slide into a light pole

The Lost Neon
1GN n00b

Post by The Lost Neon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:21 pm

The proper way to adjust your e-brakes

1-The auto adjusters don't work so..

2-put your e- brake 3-4 clicks up on the handle

3- block front wheels and use a proper jack (not the POC in your trunk)

4-remove the wheel

5-remove the rubber cover on the back of the brake backing plate

6- adjust the "star" wheel until it is hard to turn the drum forward and impossible to turn in reverse with your hands (or a large screw driver between the studs)

7- put wheel back on and perform to other side and your done.