Headers?

Have a question about how to make horsepower going the all motor route, here's where to ask it.
FlowmasterNeon
1GN Registrant

Headers?

Post by FlowmasterNeon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:27 am

Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting a new header from Ebay and possibly a highflow cat and catback exhaust as well. From just glancing at my header it looks like I have this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL ... es&vxp=mtr

But that Ebay part says it's for DOHC only and my Neon is a SOHC. This is the header for the SOHC engine but it doesn't look anything like my OEM header..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-97-98-99-DOD ... es&vxp=mtr

Will the DOHC header fit on my Neon?
98 SOHC Neon

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:42 am

For one, dont get a short tube biggest waste of money i ever spent on my car, well maybe my cylinder head build could be but thats a different story. Long tube header is what you want. If you think its too much work to relocate your cat then modified a car isnt a good hobby for you. And two, that header is a piece of junk, dont buy it, you will get what you pay for. If the third runner isnt already smashed you will have to knock a dent in it to get a bolt in that hole. Within a year it will probably crack around the donut gasket like mine did.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:22 pm

No, the dohc header will not fit, its got a different bolt pattern. If you have no emissions, I suggest not using a cat. LTH is the way to go on a sohc. The first header you posted for the dohc is a great header for the dohc, i've had it over a year and it was the best bolt on performance I bought so far, besides my cams.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

FlowmasterNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by FlowmasterNeon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks guys, I don't have emissions where I live but I think you need a cat to pass inspection. And wouldn't deleting my cat throw codes? I don't want my CEL on.

Is this the type of header you guys are talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Man ... es&vxp=mtr
98 SOHC Neon

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:21 pm

BaLLisTiK wrote:No, the dohc header will not fit, its got a different bolt pattern. If you have no emissions, I suggest not using a cat. LTH is the way to go on a sohc. The first header you posted for the dohc is a great header for the dohc, i've had it over a year and it was the best bolt on performance I bought so far, besides my cams.
You must not have much for bolt-ons then.
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:25 am

chipdogg wrote:
BaLLisTiK wrote:No, the dohc header will not fit, its got a different bolt pattern. If you have no emissions, I suggest not using a cat. LTH is the way to go on a sohc. The first header you posted for the dohc is a great header for the dohc, i've had it over a year and it was the best bolt on performance I bought so far, besides my cams.
You must not have much for bolt-ons then.
Other than my cams, the Header made more of a noticeable difference in power increase than my Cold air intake, ATX TB, and Mopar ECU... So yeah, that's basically the only bolt on's I have. I didn't get the mopar ECU til after I already had everything else, but for the money, If I were to do it again, Header would be the first bolt on I got.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:30 am

FlowmasterNeon wrote:Thanks guys, I don't have emissions where I live but I think you need a cat to pass inspection. And wouldn't deleting my cat throw codes? I don't want my CEL on.

Is this the type of header you guys are talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Exhaust-Man ... es&vxp=mtr
Yes that is like the header we were saying, that is a Longtube Header.
You might also try looking for a used Magnum Stock header/manifold. Not much of a SOHC myself, but I heard it's a decent upgrade from the normal SOHC manifolds.

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:14 am

Butt dyno?

A better header would make a much bigger difference.

Kirk on bottom, AFX on top. I dropped from 15.1's to 14.5's going from kirk to afx on a 2.4 with crane 12's, stock pcm, intake, etc. Also added 2.5" exhaust and new struts and control arm bushings.
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:26 pm

I love my AFX header.
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Ianguilly wrote:I love my AFX header.
Same here.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on