need turbo knowlegde.

Have a question related to Turbos, Nitrous, Supercharging, ect... ask it here.
98Sport5spd
1GN n00b

need turbo knowlegde.

Post by 98Sport5spd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:49 am

i bought a 98 DOHC 5-speed 2-dr Sport for $550. i want to see what a neon will do. i am getting another engine and trans and i am going to rebuild them. i am also buying a turbo kit off ebay. when i get it, i am going to sell the turbo. i have a HKS T3/T4 turbo, i am going to use that one. what i need to kno is what comupter, injectors,and ignition box to get. the engine is getting bored .020in over with forged pistons, rods, the crank is stock but it will be shot pinned, magnaflexed and crossdrilled on all bearing journals, the head will get decked .010in, new valvetrain. the motor can handle 15 psi of boost. i will only push 10 to 13 psi. what do you guys recommend i get and /or do????? i have a lot of experence building engines and tranys. not so much with turbo set up.

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:12 pm

Don't waste your time or money modifying the crank. Neon cranks are very stout and can handle over 500hp as is. Just clean the casting lines and polish the journals. A DOHC 2.0L with forged pistons and rods, if built correctly, will be capable of handling way more than 15psi with your turbo.

Forget about the ebay crap. Everything in those kits are junk. Get a good DOHC T3 log manifold. Use the stock ECU. You will need a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and an FMU with an adjustable rate of gain. You will have to run a fuel return line back to the tank or fuel canister. Look for some SRT-4 stage 2 injectors. If you use a stand alone ECU, you will only need the fuel pump and the injectors, although a 1:1 regulator helps at higher boost levels.

You may also want to consider a 2.4L engine swap. An N/A 2.4L engine is compatible with the stock SRT-4 pistons and rods and many other turbo 2.4L parts, saving you hundreds of dollars. A 2.4L built with just SRT-4 pistons and rods is good to around 450-500whp.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

98Sport5spd
1GN n00b

Post by 98Sport5spd » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:44 pm

i already had a 2.4L turbo 1st gen before. thanks for the info. that helps me a lot.