spoolboy

Have a question related to Turbos, Nitrous, Supercharging, ect... ask it here.
mgig692
1GN n00b

spoolboy

Post by mgig692 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:17 pm

got a 98 dohc with hahn stage 2. bout it with the turbo done already. when he ran the return for the fuel system he never bypassed the stock reulator/filter. it is set up with the stock pump intank and then the external pump inline. since money is tight i want to finish the mod and bypass it. can i delete the external put a walbro intank and use the rrfpr i have now? the only reason i ask is from what i have read in most of the threads is it sounds like most of you are going to the intank with a 1:1 and then a megasquirt. just want to be sure the walbro would be enough. dont thrash me to hard :)

1HotNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by 1HotNeon » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:32 pm

If there already is an inline booster pump you dont need to do anything, the stock regulator is already bypassed
Myspace.com/91766633

My Toys:
-98 Neon Turbo (256whp/290wtq on only 10psi!!!)
-99 Civic Si

mgig692
1GN n00b

Post by mgig692 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:20 pm

its not bypassed. the feed line comes out of it and goes right to the booster pump. im just gonna complete the mod and throw a walboro in tank with the booster pump.

1HotNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by 1HotNeon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:52 am

so in other words...the booster pump is before the canister??? im confused

If the pump is in fact "in-line"...it has to be after the canister, therefore, you dont need to mod the canister.

On mine i just put an in-line boost pump...mounted it in the engine compartment. Didnt want to do the spoolboy mod and mess with that stock canister....plus the inline just seems easier and less of a headache.
Myspace.com/91766633

My Toys:
-99 Civic Si

mgig692
1GN n00b

Post by mgig692 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:48 pm

it is inline. he connected a line frome the stock filter/regulator and plumbed it directly to the booster pump. the booster pump then is ran to the fuel rail, out of the rail (pressure gauge hook up) is the return line through the rrfpr back to the tank. from what i have read i thought the stock regulator was supposed to be bypassed when the kit was installed. i wanted to delete the booster pump, put in the walboro and just run that with the rrfpr, but from what i have read is you would need a mega squirt to only run the in tank. so if that is correct i was going to complete the bypas of the stock filter/regulator put in a walboro in tank and still utilize the booster pump since i cant afford to do a megasquirt.

1HotNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by 1HotNeon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:51 pm

mgig692 wrote:it is inline. he connected a line frome the stock filter/regulator and plumbed it directly to the booster pump. the booster pump then is ran to the fuel rail, out of the rail (pressure gauge hook up) is the return line through the rrfpr back to the tank. from what i have read i thought the stock regulator was supposed to be bypassed when the kit was installed. i wanted to delete the booster pump, put in the walboro and just run that with the rrfpr, but from what i have read is you would need a mega squirt to only run the in tank. so if that is correct i was going to complete the bypas of the stock filter/regulator put in a walboro in tank and still utilize the booster pump since i cant afford to do a megasquirt.

You dont need to even install a walbro in tank or do even anything so it seems. The stock regulator is housed in the canister. As long as the booster pump is after the canister, which is what you described, you are fine. That booster pump will supply fuel needed so fuel pressure can rise with that 1:1 regulator per pound of boost. An inline booster pump is what comes with Hahns turbo kits, they dont even come with an in tank pump for that very reason....to bypass the stock regulator completely.

As for MegaSquirt, ive never messed with that before...it seems like it would be more of a hassle than anything. Hahn Portfueler FTW!!!!!
Myspace.com/91766633

My Toys:
-99 Civic Si

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:58 pm

If the Hahn fuel system is working good for you setup, why mess with it? Do you have any reason to believe the fuel system is not keeping up with demand (like lean AFR's or falling fuel pressure)?

If you want to eliminate the booster pump and run a Walbro pump only, you will have to do the Spoolboy mod unless you use MegaSquirt.

- With MS, you don't even need to use a 1:1. The stock canister and regulator with a Walbro pump is sufficient. High boost levels require the 1:1.

- Without MS, you would need to do the Spoolboy mod. The purpose of this is to eliminate a restriction inside the canister and to allow fuel to return directly into the canister.

BTW, MegaSquirt is about 1/3 the cost of a Hahn poetfueler and does so many more things. The portfueler is a baby's toy compared to MS.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

mgig692
1GN n00b

Post by mgig692 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:07 pm

my main reason for wanting to mess with it was i was under the assumption that a complete spool boy mod was supposed to be done when the hahn kit is installed. i didnt install the kit, i bought it from a a guy who owned a dodge dealership. one of the mechanics in his shop did the work apperantly(not very good work). i have been trying to go through this thing trying to redo everything to make it better. i wanted to just delete the booster pump and keep the rrfpr for now, that was my main question from the begining. and to answer your question fuel pressure doesnt fall of but they never installed a wide band so all i got egt. it runs decent but i know it could be better.

1HotNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by 1HotNeon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:05 am

mgig692 wrote:my main reason for wanting to mess with it was i was under the assumption that a complete spool boy mod was supposed to be done when the hahn kit is installed. .
No that is not the case....thats why its an in-line pump AFTER the canister...you dont need to do the spoolboy mod.

Also, do you have a fuel pressure gauge??? Can you physically see the fuel pressure rise per pound of boost???

Sounds like you are fine just the way the car sits....get yourself a wideband tho.
Myspace.com/91766633

My Toys:
-99 Civic Si

mgig692
1GN n00b

Post by mgig692 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:32 am

there is fuel pressure gauge they ran of the regulator. its kinda hard to read cause it kinda beat up being shoved in the engine compartment. i know i need a wide band, but its kinda hard to drop the extra money on it now since working in the automotive field now a days isnt exactly a good carrer to be in.

1HotNeon
1GN Registrant

Post by 1HotNeon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:03 pm

mgig692 wrote:there is fuel pressure gauge they ran of the regulator. its kinda hard to read cause it kinda beat up being shoved in the engine compartment. i know i need a wide band, but its kinda hard to drop the extra money on it now since working in the automotive field now a days isnt exactly a good carrer to be in.
Yea i hear ya man...its bad everywhere!

Search around neons.org and srtforums.com.........im sure you can find a good used one for pretty cheap.

I have an Innovate wideband...works well for me, keep it in my glove box when its not needed.
Myspace.com/91766633

My Toys:
-99 Civic Si

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:28 pm

I have used the innovate also. It had a hard time connecting to the laptop from time to time, but usually worked pretty well for me.

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:51 pm

If you're not having problems, leave it alone. The Hahn fuel system works. It's not the best setup, but it does work and that's what matters most.

Use the money you were going to spend on a new fuel system and put it towards a wideband. I use an AEM UEGO wideband and it works great.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

mgig692
1GN n00b

Post by mgig692 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:22 pm

one of the guys in my shop just did an all ebay turbo build on vr6 gti. when he was looking for a wide band he came across one called a JAW. dont know if you have heard of it but its like half the cost of the aem ones. the catch is it get sent to you in pieces, you have to assemble the circuit board. then you gotta buy the o2 sensor to but it was pretty neat. i might go that route. its not as nice looking as the aem but it does what its supposed to.