Engine stubling when coming to a stop & startup

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
cazeyzman
1GN n00b

Engine stubling when coming to a stop & startup

Post by cazeyzman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:15 pm

OK, I know a lot of engine problems sound like this, so let me try to be as clear as possible.

The neon is having trouble starting without giving it some help with the pedal, and when coming to a stoplight, it stumbles a bit (especially just sitting at idle), but doesn't hesitate at takeoff and drives smooth when at speed. My first thoughts lead me to the fuel delivery system but IDK cuz Most of it is relatively new.

first a rundown of the new-ish items on the car:

New Spark plugs
Fresh oil and filter
Fresh air filter
New belts
Coil-pack: about 1yr old w/ wires
O2 sensor about 8 months old
Starter and alternator about 3 months old
Fuel pump assembly about 3 yrs old
Timing belt about 2yrs old
-No codes at the moment

My next thoughts were the injectors, but I wouldn't have figured that a single bad injector would demand pressing the accelerator to start the car? And multiple injectors go bad at once?

The car doesn't leak any oil but does burn about a quart every 800-1000 miles ( I know it needs a head job and it probably needs a new catalytic converter)

Any clues/advice would be appreciated!

98 SOCH, 170,000 miles, Automatic
1998 Neon SOHC

cazeyzman
1GN n00b

Post by cazeyzman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Also, When I changed the plugs, they had quite a bit of white residue on them (running lean?)
1998 Neon SOHC

ricker91878
1GN Registrant

Post by ricker91878 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:07 pm

How long has it been since you changed the plugs? May possibly be camshaft/crankshaft sensors it won't code right away if thats the case, how long has it been running that way?
99 2 dr R/T DOHC coupe, all the bells and whistles...

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:14 pm

i would start with a fuel pump problem. its what my 98r/t was doing before my pump died. the fuel pressure reg can also cause this. is your car hard to start on initial startup? do you have to cycle the key a few times for it to start?
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!