UPDATE!!! CAR FIXED, STRIPED NEGATIVE POST ON TRANS 4STARTER

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
hotrod
1GN Registrant

UPDATE!!! CAR FIXED, STRIPED NEGATIVE POST ON TRANS 4STARTER

Post by hotrod » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:43 pm

Basically I took my starter to autozone, to see If It was still working, and the tech said, despite the age of this starter, It Is In good working condition, no noises at all, surprisingly.
I also took my battery to the same place, and Its fully charged, I checked all wires for corrosion, and they have none, checked fuses, they are also good, when I turn the key to start my car, all lights come on, Including the dash, with headlights on, turning the key, lights do not go dim, all belts are tight, there is a sound coming from the fuel pump, signaling that It Is In working condition, but when I try to crank the engine over, nothing happens. Please help!!! :cussing: :angry4: :crybaby:
Car: Base Model, 1997 Dodge Neon, 5 Speed Manual, Sohc, 4 Door
Also my car has Front end damage, from a recent accident, not that extreme, just a bent hood, busted headlights + turn signals, and frame near radiator support is pushed forward 1 inch, making top radiator hose contact with intake manifold, engine was still working fine a couple of days after, but I noticed, It didnt allways start, sometimes it would just not do anything, when turning the key.
Last edited by hotrod on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Ne0n Project Can Be Found Here
http://teamtos.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=153
IT'S JUST A NEON L0oL...

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:56 pm

under dash is a little switch on clutch pedal. find it. thats your clutch interupt, makes it so you cant start car in gear with clutch out. did you find it? ok so it should be a two wire switch. pull the wires off the switch and use another short piece of wire or low amp fuse and "short" them together. does it work? if it does then your switch is bad. i hope this helps. its the first thing i can think of without acctually talkin to you.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

eddie389
1GN Registrant

Post by eddie389 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:02 am

1genRTturbo wrote:under dash is a little switch on clutch pedal. find it. thats your clutch interupt, makes it so you cant start car in gear with clutch out. did you find it? ok so it should be a two wire switch. pull the wires off the switch and use another short piece of wire or low amp fuse and "short" them together. does it work? if it does then your switch is bad. i hope this helps. its the first thing i can think of without acctually talkin to you.
i think about the same,
so try it, and keep us post.

98DodgeRT
1GN Registrant

Post by 98DodgeRT » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:36 am

It could be the ignition tumbler.

hotrod
1GN Registrant

Post by hotrod » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:38 am

98DodgeRT wrote:It could be the ignition tumbler.
__________________^whats this^

ok ill try this 2morrow thnx all... :D
IT'S JUST A NEON L0oL...

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:19 pm

he means the key switch. did you get it?

hotrod
1GN Registrant

Post by hotrod » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:24 am

Yup found the problem, basically the ground wire shorted, when the ground on the driver side engine mount, got fused to the clutch cable, while i was checking the starter wires, i 4 got to take off the fireshield, on the ground wire for starter, so to make a long story short, the middle section of this wire, was completely fried, and had lots of green corrosion, i bent this wire, and it just crumbled to the floor lol.
I just finished installing a new ground wire for the starter, and it started right up, BTW i noticed the car cranks a whole lot faster now. Thanx everyone for all the help... \:D/
IT'S JUST A NEON L0oL...

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 pm

glad to hear you got it fixed.

hotrod
1GN Registrant

HELP HELP HELP PIMP IN DISTRESS

Post by hotrod » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Daym fkn car, i got the biach runnin again, fixed all the body damage, registered Dmv, with insurance 400$ total, then took my baby for a test drive last night, she ran beautifully.
Then out of nowhere, i went to start her this morning, and the problem mentioned above on this post, happened all over again.

I 1st checked all fuses with ohms meter they are good, i checked battery at terminals reading 12 on meter, i checked starter directly from posts read 12 volts, then with the positive lead wire from meter, i attached it to that little black connector, behind red starter wire on starter, then i grounded the negative lead on meter, to the body of starter, an cranked engine over, meter reads 00.0, then lastly i put a paperclip into the connector for the neutral safety switch cranked engine over, and nothing happened, i just lol'd...
IT'S JUST A NEON L0oL...