Can I swap a dohc head onto a stock sohc block?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
neon95sohc
1GN n00b

Can I swap a dohc head onto a stock sohc block?

Post by neon95sohc » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 pm

what do i need to complete this? is the wiring harness the same? i'm guessing i need to change the pcm to a dohc version?

is the head gasket any different or the head bolts?

i know some of these questions have already been asked but a lot of the answers are unclear
95 SOHC
cold air
dohc muffler
its a start..

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Coolant sensor wires will not reach the sensor on the dohc head, pcms are different but will work, one port on the headgasket is different, and the head bolts are different. You will lose about half a point of compression. Manifolds are different so you would need both of those for a dohc. I think the motor mount has to be switched to the dohc mount as well to clear the timing belt.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:33 pm

See my crappy project log or just read the following.....

You will need:
Dohc headgasket, might as well get a whole upper gasket kit. Ebay is where I got mine.
Headbolts
Side motor mount
Lenthen the coolant sensor wires about 2 feet.
Pigtail for the TPS along with the Dohc TPS sensor.
Both manifolds, Duh. '99 cars use a newer style exhaust manifold that uses 4 bolts instead of the old spring and donut setup to connect it to the rest of the exhaust.
Sohc pcm will be fine, just a little less agressive on the ignition timing.
I even got away with using the Sohc plug wires.

Best thing to do is just go to the jy and rape everything you need from a Dohc car. Get everything from the head up.

Just remember that '95 and early '96's use the older style connectors for the cam sensors, but chances are they have been switched over if the cam sensor ever has been replaced. '96 and up use the combo map/iat sensor instead of the seperate ones on the '95's.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

neon95sohc
1GN n00b

Post by neon95sohc » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:03 pm

hmm i see.. im doing a srt4 turbo set up do you think its worth it to switch it over to dohc? or just stick with the single cam? how much do you think it would make a difference in the power?
95 SOHC
cold air
dohc muffler
its a start..

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:06 pm

A noticeable amount of power. The srt turbofold will not bolt up to a sohc head. You may be able to re-drill the head, but this may not work. there was some one on big org making adapter plates for the sohc head to use the srt turbofold.

You really should just use the dohc head though. Less drama.

You will also need dohc metal coolant lines, as they are different from the sohc metal coolant lines.