DOHC Exhaust Manifold Help!

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
stu22180
Fresh Fish

DOHC Exhaust Manifold Help!

Post by stu22180 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:06 pm

I am tiring to remove the Exhaust Manifold off my 99 RT with DOHC. It has a crack and needs to be replaced. So I have started the project and remove all the bolts but one under the Alternator bracket. Is their a trick to remove this bolt with out removing the Alternator and it's bracket. Help
Stu

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:24 am

I've done the same thing and that bolt can only be taken out EASILY by removing alt and bracket. Doesn't take that long and is worth it to do the job right. Check if all your studs are in good shape. I had three broken ones at one point on my DOHC MTX. Sucked getting those out. I tried an angled socket as well, barely worked. Proper way is to take the alt bracket off sadly.
1997 Plymouth Neon Sport - Daily Driver
1998 Dodge Neon EX - Turbo, MegaSquirt
Bzevey wrote:Its just....JUST!!! WTF IS JUX???

JUST because you're deaf doesn't mean you're fucking blind

and that goes to anyone

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Tue May 05, 2009 9:28 am

Stop looking for a shortcut and remove the alternator. It is not that big a deal, and makes removing the exhaust manifold more simplified.

spat12
1GN Registrant

Post by spat12 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:15 pm

While you have the bracket out, you should replace it with a 2g bracket. It is basically the same thing but it has a chunk cut out of it for better access to that bolt.
'96 Highline MTX Coupe "Frankenstein"