rear main seal... help?

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
toppy2
1GN n00b

rear main seal... help?

Post by toppy2 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:20 am

so i have a 98 rt with mtx dohc. the whole upper end has been redone i just did the oil pan gasket about 1k miles ago and replaced the oil pressure sensor.

i did a four hour trip and when i got back i had a oil leak. a big one. it had lost about two quarts of oil. so i jacked it up and looked underneath it. oil all over the back side of the motor. the under side of my intake was covered. so i filled it up and let it run for almost 40 minutes and nothing came out. so i decided to drive it back to my house which was about 20 minutes away. about 3/4 the way back it started smoking again and lost the same amount of oil. i took the bracket off between the motor and trans and removed the plate and oil came out of the bell housing. am i right in thinking its the main seal? the back side is covered in oil so i cant tell whats what with leaks but when i let it run for almost 40 minutes i was checking the seals and they all looked clear.

domesticated
1GN Registrant

Post by domesticated » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:11 pm

yep mine went out on my 98 rt at 135, your lookin at 6 hours an ten bucks with a jack, stands, wrenches
United We Stand. Anebriated We Fall.

toppy2
1GN n00b

Post by toppy2 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:27 pm

what did you use to support the motor while you dropped out the trans?

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:19 pm

Be sure its not a cam position sensor seal leak. These can sometimes look like a rear main seal leak. Its an easy check and a cheap seal.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log