Neon quit running but will run after sitting for awhile.

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
madddawg
Fresh Fish

Neon quit running but will run after sitting for awhile.

Post by madddawg » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:31 am

Hi I have a 96 Neon Highliner. The other day I was driving my car home and it started acting like it wasn't getting enough gas. ( I had 3/4 of a tank of gas)I got it to a parking lot and it just wouldn't start. It would spudder a bit but that's all. I called my wife and had her come get me. The next day I got a trailer and when I got to the car It started right up and I drove it onto the trailer to get it home. I got home and drove it around town for awhile with no problems. his happened to me before about 3 weeks ago but the gas gauge was pretty low but I only but in 8 gallons in a 12 gallon tank.

The engine codes are 12 32 51 42
42 is Fuel pump relay control ckt, Auto shutdown relay control ckt, No ASD relay output voltage at PCM, Fuel level sending unit volts out of range

I think that is the issue. I guess my questions are

1 If its a bad relay wouldn't it ether work or dont work, not just some time.

2 Could the fuel filter be clogged? I plan on changing that anyway.
That could be the reason I am getting code 51 ( Fuel system lean )

I dont want to drive it the 50 miles to work until I can get this figured out. (I have to drive my truck that gets 15 mpg )

Thank you for any advise.

Scia220
1GN n00b

Post by Scia220 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Could be a bad crank position sensor