Replacing Valves

This is the place to ask questions about your engine components like cams, valves, pistons? just anything that is generally "engine" specific.
Red97
1GN Registrant

Replacing Valves

Post by Red97 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:39 pm

I have a simple question: Do you need to rplace the valves as a set? Can you replace individual valves?
If at first you don't succeed, you're about average!!

cachanilla86
1GN Registrant

Post by cachanilla86 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:04 am

My Neon had only 1 burn valve, but the other 15 where removed to replace the guides and seals.

The job was done by a professional shop here in Mexicali, it costs about 150 $ (Including the resurface)

ubengineering
1GN Registrant

Post by ubengineering » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 am

ebay sells each valve for like 4 dollars if u want individual ones from sum reman company. either way id replace the one have hte others cleaned and bring it to a shop. My shop did my head (for my turb) for 250 wich included cleaning the head decking it and putting all new seats, seals, those little springs thigns on the seats, and all the locks at the top. 250 was the stadard price no matter how big the head and seats and seals and such. and idk about your hood but at my shop they put in the oversize valves and didnt charge me for boring out the holes! but idk my shops pretty awesome oooo yeah, eihter way have a shop do it lol i tried doing it with a valve spring compressor from autozone, that thing musta been from like 1950 or it was meant for a V8 the tool was as big as the head lol
My Fleet:
95 neon sohc atx daily driver during summer
96 neon sohc mtx hahn stage 5 night rider
94 plymouth sundance aka black betty beater
Kawasaki ninja 600cc

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:19 pm

You can replace individual valves, but you must be sure the seat is in good condition. If it is, you can simply buy a new valve and lap it in.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

AMM
1GN Registrant

Post by AMM » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:18 pm

DOHCRT wrote:You can replace individual valves, but you must be sure the seat is in good condition. If it is, you can simply buy a new valve and lap it in.
what he said.
Need a ported/ custom intake manifold or system, oil catch can, or ported head? (look here...... http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=259775) shoot me a PM for details. Headers and turbo manifolds to come shortly.