V 8 neon.........

Working on a DOHC or 2.4L swap, or maybe you have some other idea and have some questions? Feel free to ask them here...
2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:00 am

metal_gear_jon wrote:
2drSRT4 wrote:You have to have a good welder...
Aparently robots are not good anymore since alot of new cars are being panel bonded, with only a few spot welds in between. You cannot weld on this thinner HSLA steel like you can on the old crap. All you do end up doing is burning through, warping it, or not penetrating enough.

Plus it's cheaper and produces a stronger product than spot welds alone. The sheet metal will tear around the glue before it will give.
Are we talking about neons?

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:20 am

idk anymore to be honest lol. and i think i have decided that i want to do an srt-4 swap over the v8

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:00 am

2drSRT4 wrote:
metal_gear_jon wrote:
Aparently robots are not good anymore since alot of new cars are being panel bonded, with only a few spot welds in between. You cannot weld on this thinner HSLA steel like you can on the old crap. All you do end up doing is burning through, warping it, or not penetrating enough.

Plus it's cheaper and produces a stronger product than spot welds alone. The sheet metal will tear around the glue before it will give.
Yes, neon metal is like 18 G ( thats thin shit)
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:42 pm

2drSRT4 wrote:
metal_gear_jon wrote:

Thought it was unicorns.......

But we sure as hell are not talking about anything near a engine swap with two pages dedicated to body work!!

2drSRT4
1GN Registrant

Post by 2drSRT4 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:00 am

metal_gear_jon wrote:
2drSRT4 wrote:
metal_gear_jon wrote:

Thought it was unicorns.......

But we sure as hell are not talking about anything near a engine swap with two pages dedicated to body work!!
Thanks for clearing that up. 18 ga is definitely thin, didn't know the neon used 18 ga for the body panels though =/ makes me sad now. Ah well, it's super light! =)