2.4 SOHC?

Working on a DOHC or 2.4L swap, or maybe you have some other idea and have some questions? Feel free to ask them here...
NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Cape May Court House, NJ

2.4 SOHC?

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:24 pm

In all theory couldn't you just swap everything [head, manifolds etc] from a 2.0 SOHC to the 2.4 block/bottom end. Essentially it would just be swapping blocks/bottom ends. The 2.4 block is only taller, and the compression would be different, right?

I know it would just be simple to keep it DOHC, but just for kicks ya know.

I've also heard that there is a 2.4 SOHC in the Jeep Liberty, but you don't see those in the junkyard everyday.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

1fast2liter
1GN Registrant
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:30 am
Location: Beaver dam, WI

Post by 1fast2liter » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:11 am

try it and tekk us how`it goes. i would do a magnum head though.
Image

96 blue coupe sold
96 white 4 door sold
95 blue sport parted out
97 straberrie red coupe sold
95 black base parted out

current drivers
97 dodge ram 1500 5.9 ext cab sport fire engine red. tinted windows cat back exhaust suer chips tune, 1 mephis audio sub

90 audi 80. 400 miles to the tank
2002 custom sportster 90 whp and quick too

Quinny_boy
1GN Registrant
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:07 pm
Location: Montreal (south shore)

Post by Quinny_boy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:05 am

sohc head on a 2.4 does not fit 100% the cam gear and the damper pully does not aligned and more shit like that... you need custom parts fot this swap

speedjunkie
BANNED
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:52 pm
Location: Pascagoula, Ms.

Post by speedjunkie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 pm

its been done, search neons.org...basicaly you need to use a modified dohc cam gear, a spacer, and a longer timing belt
"1gn.org" Crew Member #106
"I hate my turbo neon" Crew Member #1
Unnatural Motorsports Employee member #1
"The Original Three" Member #2

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Cape May Court House, NJ

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:34 pm

Searching for that on neons.org is like a needle in a haystack.. So I'm guessing a spacer for the DOHC cam gear on the single cam. Imagine that with a p&p magnum head and magnum intake manifold :twisted:
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

chipdogg
1GN Registrant
Posts: 2180
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:30 pm
Location: Muscoda, wi

Post by chipdogg » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:30 pm

There was never a 2.4L SOHC made in a DCX vehicle. Only reason I could think of doing a 2.4 SOHC is for the coolness factor. Still have the same restrictions as the 2.0 SOHC as far as cam choices and valvetrain problems, although you wouldn't have to worry as much about trying to rev as high. But the main thing would be the lack of cam choices, 2.4's love bigger cams and the SOHC cams aren't really big enough. Valvetrain design doesn't allow as high of valve lift as the DOHC valvetrain.

And for the cam gear, when you swap to a 2.4, the DOHC heads are almost identical between 2.4 and 2.0 (basically same casting, different cams), but you need to flip the cam gears over, the mounting flange is offset and it needs to move out from the head further for the 2.4L engine.
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Cape May Court House, NJ

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:37 pm

chipdogg wrote:There was never a 2.4L SOHC made in a DCX vehicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Neon_engine#2.4

read up.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

User avatar
fusion210
1GN Registrant
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: NC

Post by fusion210 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:27 pm

NinjaneonTurtle wrote:
chipdogg wrote:There was never a 2.4L SOHC made in a DCX vehicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Neon_engine#2.4

read up.
What did they put it in?

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Cape May Court House, NJ

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:13 pm

fusion210 wrote:
NinjaneonTurtle wrote:
chipdogg wrote:There was never a 2.4L SOHC made in a DCX vehicle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Neon_engine#2.4

read up.
What did they put it in?
I've personally seen it in a jeep liberty with a RWD drive train. wasn't sure if it was 4x4. either way, its a 2.4 SOHC and its in the neon engine family.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

User avatar
fusion210
1GN Registrant
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: NC

Post by fusion210 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:26 pm

I haven't, nor can I find anything online about it. Only 2.4l DOHCs. Being that the 2.4 block was updated with an enlarged oil passage, it would be impossible to use a standard sohc head with a standard 2.4l block. The oil passage would just sit open without the head covering it. And I've never read of a 2.4l block being made just for the sohc head or a special sohc head.

I really don't buy it.
Last edited by fusion210 on Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Cape May Court House, NJ

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:27 pm

fusion210 wrote:I haven't, nor can I find anything online about it. Only 2.4l DOHCs.
it tells you about the 2.4 SOHC in the link, but otherwise its non existant online.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

User avatar
fusion210
1GN Registrant
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: NC

Post by fusion210 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:28 pm

NinjaneonTurtle wrote:
fusion210 wrote:I haven't, nor can I find anything online about it. Only 2.4l DOHCs.
it tells you about the 2.4 SOHC in the link, but otherwise its non existant online.
I think it only exists on wikipedia where things are just edited and thrown in. Read about the fake PHD that was editing pages? :lol:

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Cape May Court House, NJ

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:15 pm

fusion210 wrote:
NinjaneonTurtle wrote:
fusion210 wrote:I haven't, nor can I find anything online about it. Only 2.4l DOHCs.
it tells you about the 2.4 SOHC in the link, but otherwise its non existant online.
I think it only exists on wikipedia where things are just edited and thrown in. Read about the fake PHD that was editing pages? :lol:
lol, nah, but I've seen it and driven the car with the motor in it.

unless... someone hacked and threw the motor in the car?! :shock:
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

User avatar
Vinny
Administrator
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:42 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by Vinny » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:03 pm

I talk to a guy regularly who has a 2.4 SOHC Neon, he is in the process of turbocharging it.

As for the wikipedia stuff being accurate, they also state the 1.8L Neon engine is export only, when I always heard it was available for a period in California and possibly New York.

I'd love to see a 2.4L SOHC Liberty, just to see if it's s standard Neon type head with a different cam gear or what.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant
Posts: 500
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Cape May Court House, NJ

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:20 am

Vinny wrote:I talk to a guy regularly who has a 2.4 SOHC Neon, he is in the process of turbocharging it.

As for the wikipedia stuff being accurate, they also state the 1.8L Neon engine is export only, when I always heard it was available for a period in California and possibly New York.

I'd love to see a 2.4L SOHC Liberty, just to see if it's s standard Neon type head with a different cam gear or what.
I mean I wasn't thinking at the time that it could be a neon motor. I had to detail the jeep because we just finished painting it and it had to leave same day. I was just like wow a 2.4 SOHC Chrysler motor.

Maybe you can get some info from that guy you know. whether he stroked the 2.0 or used a 2.4 block. I know there's 2.2 kits available, but eh. My interest is peaked.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

Post Reply