who has info on v6 swap

Working on a DOHC or 2.4L swap, or maybe you have some other idea and have some questions? Feel free to ask them here...
neonguru
1GN Registrant

Post by neonguru » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:45 pm

theres a guy here in town with a 2.4 swap and i'm not very impressed. Don't know if it is true or not but i was told that theres only a 10 horse difference in the 2.4 and the 2.0 dohc? Anybody on here doing some good numbers with a 2.4? The guy here in town isn't very good with cars and such so it's probally not set up right.

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:37 am

A buddy of mine has a saturn sc2 and we did Small block chevy swap, converted to RWD. Ford 9 inch and a 4 link suspension.... It ran a 10.94 in the 1/4 :shock: . Lots of custom fab work, but it wasnt too bad. We took a look at the neon and realized that it probably would be just as easy to do it to a neon. You just really have to know your shit

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:37 am

AFAIK the reason people do the 2.4 swap in not do much for HP but for the torque.

UTA

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:15 am

Yeah they have a lot more torque, made better with bolt-ons.
neonguru wrote:theres a guy here in town with a 2.4 swap and i'm not very impressed. Don't know if it is true or not but i was told that theres only a 10 horse difference in the 2.4 and the 2.0 dohc? Anybody on here doing some good numbers with a 2.4? The guy here in town isn't very good with cars and such so it's probally not set up right.
There's a 2.4 swap car around here like that, afaik he has the only 2.4L swap in the area and from what I heard he couldn't even get the thing out of the 15s. I told his buddy to have him get a hold of me that I'd try and help him figure out what was wrong with it.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Jordan2.4
1GN Registrant

Post by Jordan2.4 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:02 pm

My machine guy bulds racing boats with 3.0 minivan engines that are built to 350hp at the crank. He really wants me to put one in one of my neons But I am not sure that I want to drive something with a 5" Tb and makes its power at 11,500 rpm. Also not sure if there are any FWD manual transmissions that would bolt up.
Jordan
sweetcorn_w00t wrote:
Now you can tell me that I've failed at life, I'm gay, and that my dad should have pulled when he pushed; since you won't be able to think of anything else.

Jordan2.4
1GN Registrant

Post by Jordan2.4 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:03 pm

Vinny wrote:Yeah they have a lot more torque, made better with bolt-ons.
neonguru wrote:theres a guy here in town with a 2.4 swap and i'm not very impressed. Don't know if it is true or not but i was told that theres only a 10 horse difference in the 2.4 and the 2.0 dohc? Anybody on here doing some good numbers with a 2.4? The guy here in town isn't very good with cars and such so it's probally not set up right.
There's a 2.4 swap car around here like that, afaik he has the only 2.4L swap in the area and from what I heard he couldn't even get the thing out of the 15s. I told his buddy to have him get a hold of me that I'd try and help him figure out what was wrong with it.
Mid to low 15's is the norm with a stock 2.4 swap. They really don't run any better than a stock dohc but respond much better to mods.
Jordan
sweetcorn_w00t wrote:
Now you can tell me that I've failed at life, I'm gay, and that my dad should have pulled when he pushed; since you won't be able to think of anything else.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:54 pm

Jordan2.4 wrote:
Vinny wrote:Yeah they have a lot more torque, made better with bolt-ons.
Mid to low 15's is the norm with a stock 2.4 swap. They really don't run any better than a stock dohc but respond much better to mods.
Hell I ran 14.83 in my ACR with just an Iceman, AFX-R and UDP; same car ran 15.3 with just a UDP and WAI. I don't know what mods if any that kid has on his 2.4, but I always thought even stock they would get you in the high 14s with a decent driver.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

uta_flyinghigh
1GN Registrant

Post by uta_flyinghigh » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:44 am

Driving may be the factor here and more importantly reaction time. We also don't know anything about the state of his suspension/tires.

UTA

Jordan2.4
1GN Registrant

Post by Jordan2.4 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:50 am

uta_flyinghigh wrote:Driving may be the factor here and more importantly reaction time. We also don't know anything about the state of his suspension/tires.

UTA
Also some egines just simply run better than others.
Jordan
sweetcorn_w00t wrote:

SuperGus
1GN Registrant

Post by SuperGus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Jordan2.4 wrote:My machine guy bulds racing boats with 3.0 minivan engines that are built to 350hp at the crank. He really wants me to put one in one of my neons But I am not sure that I want to drive something with a 5" Tb and makes its power at 11,500 rpm. Also not sure if there are any FWD manual transmissions that would bolt up.
If those are 3.0s out of Chrysler minivans, then they are not a chrysler engine at all. We had a 92 Caravan with a 3.0 in it. When we had to rebuild it, we found out that it was a Mitsubishi 6G72, which is the same engine code as the Stealth R/Ts and 3000 GT VR4s. So in theory, 350 hp is nothing for those engines. As far as a 5 speed that will bolt up to it, the aforementioned Stealths and 3000 GTs did have a 5 speed in the non turbo DOHC models that was available, so it could be done.

Jordan2.4
1GN Registrant

Post by Jordan2.4 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:39 pm

SuperGus wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:My machine guy bulds racing boats with 3.0 minivan engines that are built to 350hp at the crank. He really wants me to put one in one of my neons But I am not sure that I want to drive something with a 5" Tb and makes its power at 11,500 rpm. Also not sure if there are any FWD manual transmissions that would bolt up.
If those are 3.0s out of Chrysler minivans, then they are not a chrysler engine at all. We had a 92 Caravan with a 3.0 in it. When we had to rebuild it, we found out that it was a Mitsubishi 6G72, which is the same engine code as the Stealth R/Ts and 3000 GT VR4s. So in theory, 350 hp is nothing for those engines. As far as a 5 speed that will bolt up to it, the aforementioned Stealths and 3000 GTs did have a 5 speed in the non turbo DOHC models that was available, so it could be done.
Hey now were talking. I helped a friend put turbos off of vr-4 onto his non turbo 3000gt..he found a blown vr-4 motor in a junk yard and we took the whole thing and transferred parts. Let me just say the blocks between the turbo and no turbo 3000gt's are very different. The vr-4 block is actaully a 4 bolt main block while the non turbo block is a 2 bolt block. Now this does not mean that you can not transfer internal engine parts from one to the other but the turbo block is definately a much stronger block. Also only a few years of the non turbo 3000gt's got the vr4's dohc heads. The chrysler minivan 3.0's use the same block as the non turbo 3000gt but none to my knowledge ever had the dohc heads. Some non turbo stealths and 3000gt's actually had sohc heads. It is much harder to make power with the sohc heads vrs the dohc heads. And the race boat engines he builds all motor. He wanted to build one using the vr4- block but it was not allowed in the class he races in. The last time I priced a 5 speed transmission for a n/t steath or 3000gt it was way expensive. Definately something to looking into though if I ever decide to go that route. Also, the transmission is also definately on the other side in the 3000gt/vr-4's vs the neon and chrysler minivans.
Jordan
sweetcorn_w00t wrote:

SuperGus
1GN Registrant

Post by SuperGus » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:35 pm

They did make a DOHC non turbo version of the 3000 GT and Stealth every year it was produced. As far as the 2 bolt vs 4 bolt main it was the 91 - 92 that was 2 bolt 93 and up was a 4 bolt main. The twin turboed engine has forged internals from the factory cable of handling 700 hp on a stock bottom end. My brother has a 93 VR4 and has to replace his tranny, which is going to cost roughly $2500 so I know the trannys are not cheap. When you look at the twin turbo cars they started at $30000 in 91 and by the time the were finished in 2000 there were well over $40000, so nothing about the cars are cheap.

Jordan2.4
1GN Registrant

Post by Jordan2.4 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:25 pm

SuperGus wrote:They did make a DOHC non turbo version of the 3000 GT and Stealth every year it was produced. As far as the 2 bolt vs 4 bolt main it was the 91 - 92 that was 2 bolt 93 and up was a 4 bolt main. The twin turboed engine has forged internals from the factory cable of handling 700 hp on a stock bottom end. My brother has a 93 VR4 and has to replace his tranny, which is going to cost roughly $2500 so I know the trannys are not cheap. When you look at the twin turbo cars they started at $30000 in 91 and by the time the were finished in 2000 there were well over $40000, so nothing about the cars are cheap.
Still...AFAIK they are no 4 bolt or dohc engines in chrysler minivans. Definately would be a cool project to take on.
Jordan
sweetcorn_w00t wrote:

jory543
1GN Registrant

Post by jory543 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:41 pm

The 3.0 is the only V6 that has a manual transmission for it, the New Process A543. If a N/A 3.0 can hit low 14's in a 2800 lb car it could do a little better in a neon. The 3.0 is a torque monster and it makes 170 ft/lbs at 2800 stock. With bolt ons you can make it rev like a SOB and make that torque all the way to the rev limiter. It has a strong bottom end and a relatively low compression from the factory at 8.9:1. 10:1 pistons are easy to come by for it, or you could turbo it for serious traction problems in every gear. It uses the same clutch/flywheel as the turbo 2.2/2.5 so performance clutches and aluminum flywheels are no problem to get. The problem is tuning it, custom cals are not made for it at least not yet. So you have to use megasquirt. I remember seeing pics of a 3.0 swapped neon.
97 Dodge neon, SOHC 5 speed

mahifish
1GN Registrant

Post by mahifish » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:29 pm

Didnt the daytonas come with the 3.0's also?