Royal Purple Motor Oil

Did you buy a part and think it was awesome, or did you think it was a piece of crap? Let everyone know here so we know not to buy the same product.
INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:45 pm

I switched my 98 to synthetic at 87K miles. It does not leak.

I've put 20K on it since I switched over, 7K since I did my magnum head swap, and the only seal I had changed was my cam seal, cam sensor seal, and head gasket because I swapped the sensors over.

I switched my 86 S-10 over to synthetic at 75K miles when it was 18 years old. A slight leak developed at the pan that might have already been there.

I switched back and forth from synthetic to conventional oil (depending on how poor I was at the time) in my 05 neon. Still, no leaks.

My 95 NYG neon. It had a different motor from an unknown year, and unknown miles. I put synthetic in it, it didn't leak.

Want more?

My mother's 97 Dodge Intrepid, and my father's 94 Hyundai Sonata. We used standard oil in them until 2000. At that point, my father switched all the cars at the time to synthetic. They never leaked.

My brother's minivan has had 3-4 oil changes since 2004, it's a 2001. I wouldn't switch it to synthetic if it was mine.
Ghost Neon wrote:
racer12306 wrote: I guess that bolded bit doesn't imply that synthetic causes leaks.
Leak:

intransitive verb

1 a : to enter or escape through an opening usually by a fault or mistake <fumes leak in> b : to let a substance or light in or out through an opening

transitive verb
1 : to permit to enter or escape through or as if through a leak

— leak·er \&#712;l&#275;-k&#601;r\ noun

You bet your sweet ass it does not. Old seals used with regular engine oil tend to experience leaks when switched to synthetic. Experienced this on 4 of my own cars and many others from friends and friends of friends. Seriously. It has to leak past something, in order to cause a leak. That something is the weak point, like you in this thread.
So, what you're saying is........synthetic oil will cause a leak.

Come on man, you're smarter than this, I know it. Don't try to argue like Skill does, it makes you look retarded.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:11 pm

ok since ppl want to be technical.

no it does not cause leaks. but it can "leak" from an existing "flaw" that regular oil would not have been able to "leak" from.
-97 dohc swapped 5 spd base model

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:14 pm

Therefor, by use of some deduction:

Synthetic oil will only leak on a car that is prone to an existing oil leak.

Synthetic oil does not cause leaks on a maintained vehicle.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Don't we kind of have to be technical? I mean we are talking about engine oil.

And thank you Webster for posting that definition. I had no idea what it meant to leak before you posted that. I am forever wiser due to your definition. Are you sure your other username isn't Skill?

Anyways, this will be my final say on the subject in this thread. There are a lot of myths out there about oil. A lot of what you hear are myths. Even people that you would assume to be knowledgeable on the subject, ie mechanics, spread myths. Until you have read as much as I have from reliable sources then you are no better than the people intentionally spreading the myths. A few years ago I was going to sell AMSOIL as a way to make a couple extra bucks while in college. During my prep time I spent a lot of time learning about oils and all the myths associated with them so that I would be sure that everything that came out of my mouth was fact. I HATE when people spread wrong information when it is a result of ignorance.

Learn a little. Technology in the oils change, but the general science will always hold true.
Please PM or email me if you see any issues with the site.

racer12306@2gn.org

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:19 am

i built a motor a few months ago with all new seal and gaskets. used regular oil to break it in no leaks. switched to synthetic after 1500 miles, immediately started leaking. small leak , but it was there. this engine was well maintained and had all new gaskets and seals. why did it leak? obviously there was a small flaw somewhere in seal (even tho it was new).

at the end of this everyone is still going to believe what they originall believed. my point being, reguardless of whatever examples there are of different cases, every engine has different variables affecting it so one example is no better than the next. however from my own personal experiences, an engine is more prone to leaks with synthetic oil than with regular oil.

Ghost Neon
1GN Registrant

Post by Ghost Neon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:14 am

chris97dohc wrote:ok since ppl want to be technical. no it does not cause leaks. but it can "leak" from an existing "flaw" that regular oil would not have been able to "leak" from.
Yes.

INVUJerry wrote: Therefor, by use of some deduction:

Synthetic oil will only leak on a car that is prone to an existing oil leak.

Synthetic oil does not cause leaks on a maintained vehicle.
Yes.

Perhaps your preformed opinion of me takes its toll when i post something, but i never said oil caused anything. A non maintained car, faulty seal, manufacturer's defect, missing bolt, not properly torqued bolt, etc cause leaks. You do not say "my bath tub is a POS because I ran the water and it over flowed." You blame yourself for no monitoring the water and shutting it off before the problem occurred. Seals and such do not have schedules replacement periods, so it is touch and go. Some cars leak, and some do not. Just because your neon did not leak, does not mean my neighbors won't. I am not says all will, but that it is something to prepare for. The definition post was information, not an insult to your intelligence. In order for leak to occur, something has to give way or fail. That is the culprit, not the oil. To say that oil causes leaks in this discussion is misinterpretation.

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 am

i agree with what was just said. but the main thing i want to get across is, why use go through the hassle when good regular oil gets teh job done just as well, but at less of an expense.

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm

So that 7500 - 10000 mile oil change intervals are attainable.

racer12306@2gn.org

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 pm

thats a bunch of bullshit to. i dont care what kind of mirracle oil i have its still getting changed at every 3000 miles. no matter what oil you use there is always going to be tiny particles of metal wearing away mixing in with your oil. even with cleansing synthetic oil, where are all those particles going? right back into your oil pan to be sucked up by the sump and recycle through the engine.

that being said, your oil needs to be changed at least every 3000 miles reguardless of what oil is used.

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:41 pm

That is what an oil filter is for.

You are incorrect. You need to visit www.bobistheoilguy.com

racer12306@2gn.org

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:24 pm

no...no... oil filters dont hardly do shit. fine particles go straight through an oil filter with no problem.

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:26 pm

www.bobistheoilguy.com <------ go read

racer12306@2gn.org

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:42 pm

what exactly do you want me to read there? give me something more specific. im not about to go through every link in there.

racer12306
Administrator

Post by racer12306 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:22 am

just to educate yourself so you don't spread myths and you know what you are talking about.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

racer12306@2gn.org

chris97dohc
1GN Registrant

Post by chris97dohc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:22 am

like i said, what exactly do you want me to read, the whole website?