Want loud audio!

Questions about Amps, headunits, speakers, subs, ect... Anything to do with audio, those questions all go here.
pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

Want loud audio!

Post by pHrEaK » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:30 pm

Ok, I recently installed what i thought was going to be a decent audio system, but it turned out to just sound like shit :( . I went by wattage alone. Front speakers didn't fit, so I'm only running the rear 6x9s. Anyway the specs of what i got is as follows:

Lanzar head unit 240watt
Pyramid 6x9's 400watts

I don't have an amp or subs, not really into the bump, and there extra weight witch is never good. All I want is something that sounds good and I can turn up and people across a parking lot can hear. Any suggestions?

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:23 pm

A decent set of components for the front , amped of course.

I found that the infinity basslink worked the best for my bass needs. It brought up the low end great , and took up next to no space in the trunk. I would still have it , but it got stolen.

Also , the head unit has everything to do with the sound. That said I would defiantly look to upgrade yours. I have a special place in my heart for pioneer headunits so I have to tell you to get one of them. I find that they have the most tuning ability for the money. Im rocking a pioneer premier 840mp , and though its just about 8 years old its still on top of its game. You can get a decent premier HU for 300 or so depending on where you look.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:32 am

components ftw.. but if you dont wana drop the cash on them make sure you go 2 way!! but wattage actually has very little to do with how loud something will get or how well it will sound.. i personally like alpine hu but any of the big name brands are good.. lanzar.. not so much and i would also look into upgrading that.. and def the 6x9's i would get 2 way 6x9's and component fronts.. that would be your best bet and sorry but nobody is going to hear your car from across the parking lot.. unless you get some subs or some high quality speakers and it still wont be anything like having subs.. bump is what ppl hear across the parking lot lol.. you could look into a decent 10 inch (i personally would go bigger :D ) for pretty cheap i have some good brands for cheap i could help you out with.. if you have a price range i can probably work with you on your set up if you would like.. just lmk..
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.
According to Urban Dict. dot COM

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:14 am

Headunits don't have a big influence on sound. you can even use a factory head unit and sound good. the things that matter are the amps, speakers, subs and tweeters.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:24 pm

lol a hu is a kind of amp.. it powers the speakers right? so if you say that amps are the important part then your saying the hu is an important part..
The definition of a NEON
A great domestic compact car whose rapidly disappearing taillights are most typically seen through the windshields of Honda Civics, Chevy Cavaliers, and other assorted shitboxes.

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Yes, but if you are running it through the amp. the head unit is providing a signal but the amp is powering the speaker.

pHrEaK
1GN Registrant

Post by pHrEaK » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:58 pm

well, since there's no saving my current system, I figure I'll save up for some kicker speakers, and an audiobahn head unit. Anything against any of these manufacturers? Just would like as many opinions as i can get.

Erays3r
1GN Registrant

Post by Erays3r » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:15 pm

personally I would stay as far away as possible from audiobahn. Their stuff can be summed up as all flash and no substance.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:00 pm

Erays3r wrote:personally I would stay as far away as possible from audiobahn. Their stuff can be summed up as all flash and no substance.
x2
The definition of a NEON

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:02 pm

vielecustoms wrote:Yes, but if you are running it through the amp. the head unit is providing a signal but the amp is powering the speaker.
true but again your still going to need a good signal and it still has to power the 6x9's
The definition of a NEON

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:23 am

pHrEaK, where are you located?

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:19 am

I used to have kickers in my truck. 2 15's and 2 10's powered by fosgate amps in a blow through box in the bed. crank something, anything and it felt like you were getting hit by a truck.

I like aftermarket HU's because it takes out a few steps right from the begining. unfourtinetly some cars thanks to gps and all the bs they have been putting in them make it impossible to repace the factory Hu's. and on the other hand some people just like the look of factory unit to keep it simple and not attract anymore attention than they have to.

Ladi3sman55
1GN Registrant

Post by Ladi3sman55 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 am

vielecustoms wrote:I used to have kickers in my truck. 2 15's and 2 10's powered by fosgate amps in a blow through box in the bed. crank something, anything and it felt like you were getting hit by a truck.
what? why would you mix sub sizes? :? didnt you run into cancellation and response peaks? please elaborate.. i know you can tune them so they dont cancel out but its very difficult..
The definition of a NEON

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:26 pm

w/o a very good component set your system will never sound good. Sometimes I run those alone and dont run power to the 6x9's.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:40 pm

I had a couple sound processers and set it up where the 15s only got the lowest lows and the 10's were the higher lows. sounded great.