af/x race pcm

Did you buy a part and think it was awesome, or did you think it was a piece of crap? Let everyone know here so we know not to buy the same product.
fusion210
1GN Registrant

af/x race pcm

Post by fusion210 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:59 pm

This is one of the best bolt-ons IMO. Too bad Howell automotive sucks, but enough about them.

Parts I like. Looks stock, because, well, it pretty much is on the outside! But it's the inside that counts. No code for EGR! No code for missing downstream o2! Even the obd2 scanners for emissions will *not* pick up on this (well, so far in Ohio and NC)
The butt dyno approves. The track approves. One huge advantage is the increase in revs. 7800 (NOT 8100!)
Your car will get the best times shifting far after peak power and this allows you to do so. Stupid me though, I never plotted out the powerband of my old car for correct shift points and just shifted at redline. Still knocked 3 tenths off of my ET all by itself when my car was still a regular sohc/3.55/a few bolt ons. Impressive! I didn't notice any other change in driveability or milage, but did have to feed it premium fuel, I used 93.

Ran really really rich on my mag swap, but I believe it was actually a dohc version, if there is even a change in versions, until I test them I don't know what to believe. :lol:
2002 mag engine, 1998 chassis
3.0l intake
1998 intake mani, smoothed injector bumps
atx tb
af/x race pcm
tti race udp (no a/c or ps)
mag header/cat into the dynomax catback
134whp at 5750ish rpm, 129wtq at 5kish rpm
http://hometown.aol.com/fusion210/dynod ... umdyno.jpg

Excuses....
53 psi fuel pressure for whatever reason (gotta love 11.9:1 when you're n/a! Sad )
Fouled plugs
dirty (but free) autozone air filter
Exhaust leak around the head/mag header

98DOHCSport
1GN Registrant

Post by 98DOHCSport » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:52 pm

Although there is ALOT of speculation around the AFX ECU and the REV limiter. its well worth the money...

As for Howell "sucking" as you stated that is totally a matter of opinion.

I have delt with each and every supplier in the neon game, from gary to cory to Jason to Travis, to whoever. They are all human, humans make mistakes or do wrong by someone more than once in there life... No matter who they are. Can't make EVERYONE HAPPY ALL THE TIME
98 PLAT Sports Coupe(fun)
98 White R/T(funner)
97 DOHC ACR Coupe(funnerest)

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:14 pm

98DOHCSport wrote: As for Howell "sucking" as you stated that is totally a matter of opinion.
i know this is gonna hijack this so i'll keep it under my breathe ....

howell really does suck and it's not an opinion thing; i'd like to think they have worked hard to get that status. :lol:

rtneon67
1GN Registrant

Post by rtneon67 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:57 pm

do u think it is better then mopar performance pcms. im looking at get one or the other here soon but i dont kno witch one yet

fusion210
1GN Registrant

Post by fusion210 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:30 pm

Although there is ALOT of speculation around the AFX ECU and the REV limiter.
Speculation? I've had two version 3 race pcms and two version 2s. Guess what, all 7800. Not to mention not a single dyno showing it going over? Hello McFly.

Howell does suck unless you like bad service.
When I got my first af/x-r (I've only gotten one new) it arrived with no bottom plate and had plenty of dirt, even a cobweb. For it to pass through at least 3 people's hands and not be even brushed off, especially on such a high dollar product is ridiculous. Missing parts too, bonus.
Ever since I will not ever order anything from them.

When I went to a howell gathering with some friends, Scott Kornish was there partly to pick up his dropzone coilovers. What happened when we arrived? He found them out of the packing, on display in the shop for everyone to handle, without his permission. He didn't buy display models, he bought a product new in the box and should have recieved them in their unopened boxes. I consider these two incidents to be first hand experience and both unacceptable. Add to that the years of lies about product being in stock, people's money being held, Gary accuseing honest customers of trying to scam him *publicly* and horrid customer service and yeah, they suck. Something awful.

I'll try to keep to the facts on this one. ;)

Why the af/x is better.
They have a higher resale value though they cost more.
Deleting the downstream o2 sensor and not getting a code is nice.
Higher rev limit for the af/x sohc pcm. 200rpm higher on the dohc. Both good things to me.
More horsepower? I've only seen one dyno where they were just put on a car and ran, the af/x street pcm edged out the mopar. This was tested on a dohc in Mopar Now! magazine. I'd assume (oh god) that the race version makes a touch more than the street version.

Why the Mopar is better.
You don't have to wait what seems forever.
It's in nice condition when it arrives, af/xs are all used pcms that are sent out.
No core charge, jesus, don't pay $540 for an af/x pcm or the $150 for a used pcm you can buy for $30 and send out. Plus if/when you sell it, bam, just throw your original pcm back in.
With the money you save, you can get something to tune fuel. A user on .org posted a dyno of a fuel tuned mopar pcm vs an untuned af/x and the power was almost identical.

98DOHCSport
1GN Registrant

Post by 98DOHCSport » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:01 pm

ALL AFX PCM come with NO bottom, its not part of the pcm, u put yours on it and send your core in.
98 White R/T(funner)

98DOHCSport
1GN Registrant

Post by 98DOHCSport » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:03 pm

ALL AFX PCM come with NO bottom, its not part of the pcm, u put yours on it and send your core in.

And the Mopar TOO deletes the bottom o2 signal and the EGR signal.
98 White R/T(funner)

fusion210
1GN Registrant

Post by fusion210 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:19 pm

First I've heard of that. Note that nowhere does it say it does not come with a 'bottom.' When I ordered I was not told this. On the site it shows it with the mounting plate. Same with the mopar.
It sure as hell is part of the pcm.

Mopar deletes the 'bottom o2 signal'? No. The Mopar does will send a code for the downstream o2 on the obd2 ones. I've heard a few different results for 1995s.

98DOHCSport
1GN Registrant

Post by 98DOHCSport » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:37 am

fusion210 wrote:First I've heard of that. Note that nowhere does it say it does not come with a 'bottom.' When I ordered I was not told this. On the site it shows it with the mounting plate. Same with the mopar.
It sure as hell is part of the pcm.

Mopar deletes the 'bottom o2 signal'? No. The Mopar does will send a code for the downstream o2 on the obd2 ones. I've heard a few different results for 1995s.
both of the AFX PCMs I have got new dint' come with a bottom. You put the one on from your stock PCM. and I have no cat or bottom o2 or egr on my 98 and 97 and both have had mopar pcms in them , no CELs eve for that.
98 White R/T(funner)

das2123
1GN Registrant

Post by das2123 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:47 am

Dyno shows the AF/x isn't worth it...
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... light=dyno
2003 SRT-4

FOR SALE POST

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:49 pm

das2123 wrote:Dyno shows the AF/x isn't worth it...
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t ... light=dyno
that's a joke dyno comparrison ...

the AFX wasn't tuned with the safc settings and he tuned the car with the MPP.

The afx woulda out performed that MPP no doubt.
It runs richer then the MPP and yet it was barely behind the MPP when the MPP was tuned.

das2123
1GN Registrant

Post by das2123 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:49 pm

Probably so, but by how much?

Could it be the same difference from a 3.0L CAI compared to the Iceman?
2003 SRT-4

FOR SALE POST

jrumann59
1GN Registrant

Post by jrumann59 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:09 pm

98DOHCSport wrote:ALL AFX PCM come with NO bottom, its not part of the pcm, u put yours on it and send your core in.

And the Mopar TOO deletes the bottom o2 signal and the EGR signal.
Sell me your MPP ECU because the one in my 98 does check for downstream o2, but you are correct it doesn't check the EGR as long as the transducer is left in with vacuum ports blocked off.

98DOHCSport
1GN Registrant

Post by 98DOHCSport » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:58 am

ill sell you my mopar one. PM me
98 White R/T(funner)

jrumann59
1GN Registrant

Post by jrumann59 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:58 pm

I already have a mopar one in my R/T