Project: RESURRECTION 2.4! UPDATE - She RUNS!!!!!!

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.

Should I re-paint the car in all-black or make it black and yellow?

Black
70%
Black and Yellow
30%

Total votes: 10

Neonperfect
1GN Registrant

Project: RESURRECTION 2.4! UPDATE - She RUNS!!!!!!

Post by Neonperfect » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:52 pm

UPDATE!!!!! 12Jun07The car is running on the original SOHC. I'm getting new plugs, MSD wires, a screamin demon coil, air filter for the iceman and all new fluids. I'll be doing a 2.4 swap with the help of Infil (Eric) and Street Stealth Concepts (www.street-stealth.com)... Some time next month it'll be a killer. I also ordered new wheels, they'll be here this Friday. I'll post pics when i receive them... :twisted:
ORIGINAL POST:

Have this post on Neons.org, figured I'll put this up here as well.

OK, folks, so the time has come for my Neon to be RESURRECTED!

I love my little beater and miss it bad - miss it, because as soon as I came back to New York, I parked it at my Dad's house in Staten Island, as it is a PITA to keep a car here in Manhattan. Problem is, it has been there ever since, last time I drove it was in '04, I believe. Well, that is about to change!

I finished my tour with the Air Force in '03 and drove back to New York from San Antonio, where I was stationed. The car is a '97 SOHC MTX black sedan, base, w/ black/yellow interior and fairly good mods: B&M STS, Booger bushings, Prothane motor mount inserts, yellow Iceman CAI, MPx 55mm TB (port-matched to the intake mani.), Pacesetter exhaust mani., Catco free-flow converter, Vibrant dual exhaust. Also have a few other little things, like Vitor's EGR block-off kit, a one-off 1" plate between the TB and IM (reduces chances of sucking in water and promotes better airflow, so my butt-dyno says, lol). Lastly a bunch of knick-knacks like a Momo black and yellow shift knob and pedal set, limo tint in the back and 35% up front, diamond clear headlights and turn signals and R/T wheels; also have an 800W amp, Sony 6'9"s and Pioneer CD deck.

I went to look at it a few weeks back, and it's current state isn't that bad, considering it has been sitting for so long - the drum brakes are seized and need to be replaced. As I always wanted disc brakes in the back, now is the perfect time to do it, along with putting in stainless steel brake lines. A few rust spots are also presents, on the back edge of the hood (which I was going to replace anyway), as well as on one of the fenders, which will be a little more tricky to fix, especially considering I have NO experience in body work. Just an excuse to learn something new, I guess.
Going to get fender flares as well.

Here is the real problem folks: I have never changed a timing belt. I know I need to replace it, as well as the water pump and the tensioner (I believe). I will, of course, flush and check everything else (any suggestions, are welcome, by the way, LOL), but the timing belt is issue numero uno.

I would love for somebody to come out and help me out with this, I would most definitely appreciate it. The car is in Princess Bay, Staten Island, right on the shore, it's a beautiful view. I will treat you to dinner and beers (if it helps with the engine work, LOL). I won't be able to offer anything financially, unfortunately, I've school and other bills that are sucking me dry, plus I'm sure the replacement parts for the car won't be cheap. If anyone can help me out, I will be grateful!

Lastly, I will get my digital camera setup by the end of this week, hopefully, and will take some pics of the car and it's condition (EDIT: won't have a camera till very late march or early April). I intend to make this project log an ongoing one, as I plan more than just the resurrection of the car, but a major interior and exterior overhaul and upgrade, along with a major power boost (2.4 swap and turbo, if possible), along with a total suspension system upgrade. It will take some time, but this phoenix WILL rise again!!!!

EDIT: See my last post (17Apr07) for the new direction in the Project - 2.4 swap!!!!!
Last edited by Neonperfect on Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:04 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Neonperfect
1GN Registrant

Post by Neonperfect » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:54 pm

Also, here is a list of parts I'll need, I guess. Please add to it, I know I'm missing things. Lastly, I need to find out the best prices/brands on these, so please let me know those as well.

Tensioner (Litens is best, I believe)
Water pump
Belts
Fluids
Battery
Disc brake swap? My drums are seized with rust (Have a set ready for me to buy)
Full set of the stainless bolts that are in the Dealers section of Neons.org, as mine are rusty as hell - Full Set is $48, I believe

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:38 pm

Hey if you need help on the replacements let me know. If I'm down in the area for a day or so I'll help you with the work...-Mike

Neonperfect
1GN Registrant

Post by Neonperfect » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:44 pm

Archametes wrote:Hey if you need help on the replacements let me know. If I'm down in the area for a day or so I'll help you with the work...-Mike
Cool, thanks Mike, I'll def let you know. I'm thinking I'll start ordering in 2 weeks, and start the work in a month? Just want to have everything ready - bought, researched, proper tools ready... Then get a couple of people together all at once (I have 3-4 so far) and have a grand ole time doing this! 8)

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:46 pm

cool keep me posted...

chrono_killa
1GN Registrant

Post by chrono_killa » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:17 pm

order it all from rockauto.com thats where i ordered all my stuff. for the timing belt get gates. and for the water pump get the cheapest 1 they are all the same. some rtv black. good time to do the head gasket too. its so easy. i had 0 experience and i got it done. get some cam shaft seals. ohh make sure u got 6 pointed sockets not 12. heres what i used to make it all happen
http://jball.neons.org/howto/timing_belt/howto.html
got any other questions just hit me up
BIGRAM wrote:i ain't gay you sucked my dick
My Cars-98 plymouth highline neon, atx, msd coil, 3.0 intake, ebay udp
Future mods- magnum head, magnum header, rims, msd wires, 60mm tb, dohc pistons, 2.5" dual exhaust, modded valvebody, filled mounts, switch to a tach cluster with green leds and some more shit

Neonperfect
1GN Registrant

Post by Neonperfect » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:27 pm

chrono_killa wrote:order it all from rockauto.com thats where i ordered all my stuff. for the timing belt get gates. and for the water pump get the cheapest 1 they are all the same. some rtv black. good time to do the head gasket too. its so easy. i had 0 experience and i got it done. get some cam shaft seals. ohh make sure u got 6 pointed sockets not 12. heres what i used to make it all happen
http://jball.neons.org/howto/timing_belt/howto.html
got any other questions just hit me up
Oh yeeeaaaah! I forgot all about JeffB's how-to! I had bookmarked for like 3 yrs or something, completely forgot about it, lol. Thanks, Killa!

Neonperfect
1GN Registrant

Post by Neonperfect » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:55 pm

I'm curious as to what else I need to get the car running properly again... I was hoping to get an adjustable cam gear and maybe a '95 or crane camshaft and drop it in at the same time... but then I'd prob have to get the titanium retainers and valve springs, too... *sigh*

What to do, ehat to do...

Neonperfect
1GN Registrant

Post by Neonperfect » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:12 am

Neonperfect wrote:I'm curious as to what else I need to get the car running properly again... I was hoping to get an adjustable cam gear and maybe a '95 or crane camshaft and drop it in at the same time... but then I'd prob have to get the titanium retainers and valve springs, too... *sigh*

What to do, ehat to do...
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?? :D

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:17 am

Well tell Rooney to BITE ME! And SGT. Peterson!

I would suggest an oil change as well. I know it sounds kinda obvious but it one of the most commonly forgotten things to do to a car... from there a basic tune would be in order if the car has sat for so long. ALOT of the rubber has possibly dry rotted and such....Fuel system cleansing....just rattling off what I would check if I were you...

Neonperfect
1GN Registrant

Post by Neonperfect » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:26 am

Oh, definitely doing all of the above... Also thinking of getting some fuel/oil additives to clean up the system... I know there are some that are supposed to penetrate the metal inside the engine and lube it up, restoring lost performance... Yeah, I know, I believe the hype... :D

chrono_killa
1GN Registrant

Post by chrono_killa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:54 am

might as well drop a 95 cam in it, buy from this guy sellin for 35 shipped
BIGRAM wrote:i ain't gay you sucked my dick
My Cars-98 plymouth highline neon, atx, msd coil, 3.0 intake, ebay udp
Future mods- magnum head, magnum header, rims, msd wires, 60mm tb, dohc pistons, 2.5" dual exhaust, modded valvebody, filled mounts, switch to a tach cluster with green leds and some more shit

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:08 am

This is Abe Froman, the Sausage KING of Chicago!! Sorry I just had to say it.

Neonperfect
1GN Registrant

Post by Neonperfect » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:48 am

So I've decided to take a different route with Project: Resurrection!

I talked earlier with Infil, who lives in Staten Island, and we figured it would be easier to do a whole 2.4l swap instead. With the money I'd spend on getting the old engine to run again, I might as well get a newer (and FUNCTIONAL, lol) 2.4L, and put all my bolt-ons on that. Except for the Pacesetter header, of course, that wouldn't fit, so I'll get a long-tube one instead.

Infil is a really nice guy, and very knowledgeable about Neons as well. Along with working on the car, we'll also try to get a bunch of the NYC-area Neon people together for that weekend and get some sort of Neon group organized for the NYC area. For a city like ours not to have a local Neon group is just shameful, lol.

We'll probably do this in mid to late May some time. I'll keep everyone updated on the where and when, stay tuned...
Last edited by Neonperfect on Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

neonhondakiller
1GN Registrant

Post by neonhondakiller » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:08 am

how is it going ?
HARRY BUSHLING
A.K.A. NEONHONDAKILLER
V.P.NEONAMERICA CAR CLUB VP@NEONAMERICA.COM
PRES.SOCAL NEON AMERICA CAR CLUB ADMIN@SOCALNEONAMERICA.COM