08's 2.4 swapped 96 sedan

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:12 pm

thanks man, i got lucky with the lights. i wanted some just like them or similar anyway and i found them at a junkyard for $50 on a table luckily. the tray looks easy to make ill be posting dimentions and what not if you want to make one in the future. only think is im not 100% sure if its the same on passenger as driver side for mounting. mine being on the passenger side mean ditching the evap canister. so i can say youve been warned. lol

FER24NEON
1GN Registrant

Post by FER24NEON » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm pretty happy with my battery in the trunk. idk if i would like it under the fender.
1996 Neon 2.4 swap
1981 Chevy C10 355

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:36 pm

under the trunk = easier to get to

but...........

under the fender = better weight distribution

and its more or less my drag car before anything else. and if i need to jump start it i dont have to go off the battery. the starter is right there in front lol

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:45 am

ok so heres another little update.

after removing the tray i got it all measured up and slightly changed the design (still not 100% final). this should hold the battery much more solid as its way thicker then the previous one. or it will be thicker i should say.

but i also noticed that the battery i pulled out was from walmart and it said that i had a little bit of time left to get free replacement. which i might note that i didnt know if they would do or not because the battery was in the car when i bought it and i did not buy it and install it myself. well first they said they had to test it before they could do anything. but walmart doesnt do a 5 minute maxx test like everywhere else. theres takes an hour and a half to tell me my battery is bad which i already knew. well then she proceeded to tell me that usually they wont do battery exchange without the receipt. she said i could talk to customer service up front or a manager to verify that since i didnt have any paperwork. i wasnt going to bother since i never had paperwork because i didnt buy the battery. well the auto parts manager came back and she asked him and he verified and said that they wouldnt do anything without the receipt. so i walk outside and over by the bay door so they could bring me my battery. as he was bringing it over i noticed a couple of things. first being that this one had a strap on it where mine did not. second being that it looked brand new where mine looked far from being up in the wheel well. and the third being that it was side post where my battery was top post.

at this point i was like whatever, i know mines junk if there going to give me a different one that i can make work then i wont complain. so i didnt say a word as he gave it to me, i just carried it to my car put it on the passenger floor board then left. well they had a little test tag on it like what they did for mine. and after some closer looking they gave me a brand new never even used battery. and it was one of there everstart maxx series which is like there top of the line battery there lol. the battery is 1/2" longer than the one i had though so it wont fit in my battery tray (which is broke), but no big deal because i have to remake it. and for being side post instead of top post isnt a big deal either because i wanted to redo my wires anyway. so for $30 or less i can get my proper cables put on then whatever it costs me to get the tray made. which is 1/2" longer then my old one and i think im going to lower it down some as well while im at it.

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:03 am

Nice, your making out like a bandit.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:22 pm

yeah i cant really complain to much lol. before the battery goes in and (possibly gets ruined) im getting a voltage gauge hooked up so i can monitor it when driving. it was charging at 13.9 at idle but i dont know if its same going down highway or not when i was getting the overcharge light. couldnt exacty hang out the window going 65 to hold the leads of my multi meter on the battery lol. the old one was cooked though, i think it dropped a cell off. so i need to watch and make sure its not a problem with alternator before i kill a battery that i dont have a warranty on of any sort lol.

not sure what i want to use for voltage gauge yet but im thinking i will use this for mounting it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-99-Dodge-Neo ... a1&vxp=mtr

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:16 pm

thats nice. why not a pillar gauge?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=95 ... e&_sacat=0

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:01 am

i like the cleaner look without them. i mean i would need 3 gauges to even have it look right. mine i plan on running a voltage gauge. probably a oil pressure gauge. then i might down the road get the new top cover for the steering wheel column and put a air fuel ratio gauge there. otherwards i really cant think of any other gauges i want or need.

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:53 am

You could make one to go just above your center vents, many people have done it using little paper cups, nylons ( panty hose), fiberglass matting and resin, take your time and it can look good.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:19 pm

if im going to make one im going to do it right lol.

but yeah i know how to do fiberglass work so we shall see. but if i go that route i will actually cut out wood templates and use fleece wrap and the whole 9 yards lol. ill bondo it, sand it and get it looking like glass lol

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:20 pm

then again i guess i could just do that for the steering column to vs. spending like $85 on one lol

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Thinking out side the box is always a good thing.

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 am

might have to end up working on that for a little side job one day. that way its ready when i am lol

08kgraves
1GN Registrant

Post by 08kgraves » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:47 pm

ok so today i was on my way home and i spotted a nice entertainment center with a free sign on it. so i stopped and it was actually really nice shape. well the guy came out while me and my mom were looking at it (she happend to be with me) and he helped me move it back by the house so i could come back later when my brother was off work with his truck. i found out then that the guy raced sprint cars though.

well long story short me and my brother went back later on to get it and was talking to the guy for like an hour about everything under the sun. turns out he works in a full machine shop and fabricates as well. so tomorrow im going over to his house and hes gonna look at my old battery box and plans for a new one and hopefully get it all made up for me :) so we got an entertainment stand for my brother (to big for my room) and i got a new contact for when i need any type of machining or welding done.

northern
1GN Registrant

Post by northern » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:13 am

Nice.