Project Slimer, new owner......

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:08 pm

Real short update:

Installed rear sway bar, found car had driver strut bracket from the factory.
Went to Indy with Ian and met the Monday brothers plus a few others for taco nite. (What a drive!)
Leaning to ditching the rrfpr and going FIC. PTB and fiddling with the fmu is getting old. 10 psi is no problem though.
Saw Vinny and Will DJ'ing last nite.( for a short time anyway )
Off the hook beats + up till 3:30am and getting back up at 7:00am FTW!!

That's all folks!!!!
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:26 pm

THis piece of junk is still running!?!?! :lol: Funny enought i saw Vinny yester day and turboshadow...everyone but you Jon :lol:
-Neon #3 1999 Dodge Neon R/T, Flame Red, DOHC MTX, Goodies, "Christine X2"

-Neon #6 95 NYG sport coupe SOHC MTX, 1 0f only 527
jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Heck, I was just over at Vinny's place tonight helping with the evap leak issue he's been having.

But furthermore, switching to a Aem Fic will help with a lot of drivability issues I have with the car (having to be at wot while in boost, constantly watching afr's, etc..).
Thinking I could score one on ebay for around $200, then sell the rising rate and a few of the AN lines for about $100-ish. Think I could get it working with a stock fuel pump.

All the features are making it really appealing, ability to pull or add fuel, pull ignition timing, limit MAP voltage, I think even spoofing 02 outputs. It's just a no-brainer right now.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:46 pm

F/IC update.

Just last Friday, a Fic popped up on ebay for $200 shipped, complete. Pulled the trigger and it arrived on Wednesday. It's an 1910, so I know about the injector code problems, but I'm not worried.

Just got done de-pinning the harness, planing on "spoofing" both o2's, using the aux 5v input for my wideband. Already have a map clamp, but may use the fic for that.

Thinking of using the rising rate for now a just a normal regulator, set it at 40 psi and leave the signal line for the rate of gain off. should work until I have time to drop the tank again. Will of course need to build a new fuel map for the when the normal canister is back in.....
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Stayed up until 2 a.m. Monday night extending the harness. Planning of mounting it where the radio was.
Have a pinout diagram of the pcm and made a chart/key of all the wires to be tapped into or intercepted. Have my iron an solder ready for tomorrow.

Hooked the Fic to my laptop and works just fine. I forgot they show absolute air pressure so it shows 14.5 psia in the cincy area.

Built a quick fuel map using the injector resize feature and figuring that my 370's (35lb'ers) would flow a hair under 34 lbs hr @ 40 psi.
Did the standard ignition map pulling 1 degree per pound of boost but changed things up by pulling a quarter of percent more in the higher rpm. Or should I pull a little more at lower rpm (2000- 2500) to offset the low rpm spool "shock" ? Have to test and see.

Looking to have it running after the new year.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:08 pm

Installed it last week in about 3 hours. Plugged in the bypass plug and started right up. Then hooked up the FIC and started after a few cranks.

Fucked around with fuel and ignition maps for a few days now..... also got a hang of the o2 offset map as well. Need to find out my injector responce times and got to buy a scanner.

Drove it around town, much better than the RRFPR setup. Still need to drop the tank later and put in a normal fuel pump again.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:20 pm

wickedgoodneon wrote:You all are crazy. I LOVE the tan interior!
I know right? this is the 3rd neon, including my own, That I have seen or seen pics of with Tan Interior. It's rare. I see more NYG Neons than Tan interior Neons. I wonder if there is such thing as a NYG with Tan interior... I would love to own one. Anyways, I swapped ACR interior, so now my old Flame red ACR has tan interior, just like Ferrari's lol

The Alpine green looks sexy, your car looks good man.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Well, thanks. The local Honduh dealer had an alpine on it's lot a few weeks ago. Coupe, auto, sunroof, power everything. But it had the dark agate. The tan is a little rarer in the 98 and 99 model years, but pretty common on the early cars. IIRC, I've seen a NYG with driftwood before.

But anyway, some winter progress.

Laptop took a dump so no tuning till I get around to that.

Finally got around to working on the decklid. Ground the rust and welded the holes Saturday, then tonight started on the filling part. Guess you can say it's a bondo bucket now.

^ after welding with some light finish work and some self-etch. What a pain it was to fill. Should of just made some backing pieces to fit behind each hole, then filled with bead. So easy to burn through even at the lowest setting. Warped the passenger side slightly, was able to fix with some offset hammering and prying.

^ first layer of glaze. More to come. Still has some high spots that need to get knocked down with a pick.
Last edited by metal_gear_jon on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Jon you are so cheap, not to buy that lid i found you months ago :lol:

Anyway car is still looking sexy, when is a drop coming???

BTW driftwood isn't so rare, the NYG i'm buying has it, i can't wait to toss it i think it is a fugly interior IMHO, not try to jack your log Jon 8)

jamieely wrote: There are 2 kinds of people here, those with coupes, and then the other guys. If srt4s were coupes I would have one.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:30 pm

Ianguilly wrote:Jon you are so cheap, not to buy that lid i found you months ago :lol:

Anyway car is still looking sexy, when is a drop coming???

BTW driftwood isn't so rare, the NYG i'm buying has it, i can't wait to toss it i think it is a fugly interior IMHO, not try to jack your log Jon 8)
I was second guessing my decision while burning through some of that decklid. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, oh well....

Heck, forgot to add that the downpipe got rewelded right before the last snow we got. Those welds turned out to be shit. Rushing and the carbon buildup inside randomly catching fire didn't help either. :lol:

Still looking for coilovers, but still looking for the money for them too.

Bet a NYG with dark agate would be nice looking. :D

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:53 pm

metal_gear_jon wrote:
Bet a NYG with dark agate would be nice looking. :D
=D> A smart man you are, already know my plans...watch for my project log here in the next month 8)

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:00 pm

Well from sitting like this for a day...
To now finished.....

Also got the old rising rate and related componets removed, so the engine bay is much less clutered now.

Then had some time today with a scan tool and my laptop, so got a nice tune with the FIC banged out. Still have to work on the boost regions though, but pulls hard and no sputtering.
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:08 pm

Looking great, what's up next in the plans?

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Been awhile..... worked on the tune, runs a lot better now.

Tint on the quarter glass started to turn hillbilly purple, peeled off and need to schedule an appointment with Eclipse.

Drove up to Columbus the other night and picked up a set of these...

Sitting at the local sandblasters waiting to be stripped.

Stay tuned. :)
^ Not mine...

Have a lol

Ianguilly
1GN Registrant

Post by Ianguilly » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:05 pm

I like, but again...its not gonna be a sleeper now.