LSD!!!

Questions about axles, transmissions, differentials, pretty much anything that connects the engine to the wheels, this is the place for those questions.
drifterz73
1GN Registrant

LSD!!!

Post by drifterz73 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:41 pm

Ok so i got a guy at work that has a cheap and easy solution to the whole lsd problem... Aparently there is an "s" spring from a ford rearend that slips in ..."with a lil bit of muscle" lol, between the gears in the trans. that acts just like an lsd. aparently it puts enuf force on the gears to cause them to spin at the same time...i have seen this just the other day when he removed the trans to install new clutch. pulled the bellhousing apart from the trans and there it was.. supposedly there was info somewhere on the forums long ago.anyone else hear of this.. figured i would share the info maybe make it cheaper than the PG's or any other super high priced lsd out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:55 pm

You will have to do some machining of the gears to make it work right. It wont work as well as a Quaife, but it should perform similar to a PG (which isn't that great).
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

drifterz73
1GN Registrant

LSD!!!

Post by drifterz73 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:19 pm

not true.. not machining, and the owner of said trans says it works great...but have you seen or heard about this spring ford part??

JeffB#2
1GN Registrant

Post by JeffB#2 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:05 pm

it's a known item, yes. and yes, as noted, it works about the same as the PG. that spring is only PART of what you need to make it really work correctly. spring loaded diffs are not new, been around for decades. clutch and cone type diffs use springs in the center. but you always need the rest of the parts to make it work. good luck getting the diff machined for clutches or cones.
You know me

custom95neon
1GN Registrant

Post by custom95neon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:49 am

never heard of the ford s spring sounds cool

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Re: LSD!!!

Post by DOHCRT » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:04 pm

drifterz73 wrote:not true.. not machining
:banghead:
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

drifterz73
1GN Registrant

hitting head against brick wall?? dang

Post by drifterz73 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:19 am

i say what i mean.... not true and not machining......................................

JeffB#2
1GN Registrant

Post by JeffB#2 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:13 am

for anything like that to be effective at all, it needs to ride on a large flat surface. the side gears have a ridge around the splined hole where that spring will ride. remove the ridge my machining it. but even then, it's not that strong, it cannot lock both tires together.

google limited slip or posi and then read up on it. my chevelle has a cone type rear end. yup, spring in the middle but it's the cones that provide most of the "posi" effect as a result of the spring. the springs in any of these diffs are only PART of what it takes to spin both tires together.
You know me

drifterz73
1GN Registrant

LSD!!!

Post by drifterz73 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:09 pm

i see... but they never complain and it seems to work every time.. im not saying your wrong.. im going off what ive seen and heard from it first hand... im not sure if they are aware of what you are telling me you know. i will talk to him about what you are telling me and see what he did besides just sticking that spring in there...thank you for the info..

JeffB#2
1GN Registrant

Post by JeffB#2 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:51 pm

if you drove and compared a Neon with a Quaife and one with a spring in it you'd see the difference. Go launch on slicks with that spring in it and see how often both tires bite. I know it's hard to convince people that are sure a cheap method is just as good, but it's not in this case. You're better off with an OBX copy of the Quaife over a PG or Ford spring.

Like the PG, the spring deal is only "half" a posi because it's an incomplete set up. I've driven Neons with a PG, I used to make a version as well. "Alabama Man" used to make a version of the PG as well. Eventually someone tested almost every option out there for breakaway torque and you'd be surprised how little effort it takes to get one tire to turn with anything other than a Quaife. I'm not saying this spring doesn't do anything at all, it just does live up to the hype, mainly by folks that don't understand what a LSD really is and how they work.

Just a small start to understanding LSD diffs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
You know me

drifterz73
1GN Registrant

LSD!!!

Post by drifterz73 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:11 pm

thanx for the info man.. the guy that has the neon with that doenst use slicks. so im sure it does fine for street apps.. races at track once in a while..but for us guys that cant afford the either types of real lsd's then this trick is best option...

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Jeff, i, like most Neon people, am entirely too lazy to search for the answer. i'm curious if HP numbers play a roll at all. like if my HP goals are currently around 190-200 at the wheel, would the cheaper Ford spring be enough or essentially a waste of money? (i do plan on eventually getting the Quaife or OBX but the wish list is longer than my paycheck is large)

drifterz73
1GN Registrant

LSD!!!

Post by drifterz73 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:38 am

Hi bob. i also want to know this answer. i plan on just mild bolt ons and what not.. and i do not plan on exceeding more than just a lil more power than stock. so im guessing this spring will be sufficient for very mild applications.

JeffB#2
1GN Registrant

Post by JeffB#2 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:47 am

With the spring in place, jack up the front end. Have someone hold one tire and you grab the other. You'll be able to break that one tire free from the other with ease.
You know me

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 am

My beater neon had a PG in it. Engine was stock. The PG did almost nothing. Like Jeff said, it requires very little effort to overcome the spring pressure applied to the gears. You need clutches for spring type differentials to work good. At the very least, you need to machine the ridge off the back of the gears like I said before.

Project Log