2.4L swap problems... help !!!

Working on a DOHC or 2.4L swap, or maybe you have some other idea and have some questions? Feel free to ask them here...
Nono
1GN Registrant

2.4L swap problems... help !!!

Post by Nono » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:55 pm

2.4L DOHC engine is like 2 weeks in the car but havent figured what is wrong with it. The problem is... Engine on: cyls 1 & 3 dont work. Cyl 3 sunk in gas, cyl 1 clean. No probls on 2 & 4.

Im using Crower Stg 4 cams for 2.0L but magnet have been rotated 90 degrees as well to work on 2.4L

Spark on the 4 cyls = ok. Tested with a tester to check spark pulse but is ok but to be sure w/ engine on, removed cyl 1 and 3 spark plug but THERES SPARK in there... believe me!! Hehe!!

Inyector 1 = no pulse
Intector 3 = has pulse but its like out of timing

Harness is ok!! Checked but re checked

Timming = perfect

Have used boths inyectors config @ the pcm connector pins (new style and old one). Connections = ok
Have done ignition config @ ignition connector pins.

Swapped few parts as troubleshooting from another 1g swapped 2.4L DOHC running car :

Plugs
Plugs Wires
Crank Sensor
Cams Sensor
Inyectors

Big problems are usually caused by stupid things. Unfortunatelly havent catched this one yet!!!!

Heres a vid:

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x90/ ... G_0441.jpg

Any help appreciated!!
Last edited by Nono on Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-'98 SOHC Neon N/A
- Best 60' 2.04s, Best mph 98.87, Best e/t 13.99s - but
RIP !!!

- Finally.. in the end... Nono has joined the dark side. New project: 98 D♂hç ∩ε♂∩ ∩/a :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:37 am

Be sure you have power to the number one injector. If the ground wire for injector number one is ok from the injector clip to the PCM, there isnt much left to diagnose. What are you using to test for injector signaling from the PCM? Noid lights?

You may also want to try returning the injector wiring back to the stock 2.0 configuration. Ive heard of a few instances of this working on a select few 2.4 swaps.

It sounds like the engine is also running very rich when it does run. You need to have something to control the MAP sensor reading with the cams you have.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:26 am

If you don't have a noid light, I always use an LED to check injector/coil pulse. I got a bunch lying around, so I just quickly twist a resistor on one leg and stick the wires into the plug and see if it flashes. I have never switched injector plugs around. My NYG and purple car run just fine. Injectors tend to be open longer than the intake valves anyways.
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?

Nono
1GN Registrant

Post by Nono » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:38 am

DOHCRT wrote:What are you using to test for injector signaling from the PCM? Noid lights?
Yes.
-'98 SOHC Neon N/A
RIP !!!

- Finally.. in the end... Nono has joined the dark side. New project: 98 D♂hç ∩ε♂∩ ∩/a :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Nono
1GN Registrant

Post by Nono » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:15 pm

Well, my mech was thinking on something but he was right! I made a better reasearch about where this engine comes from. I knew it came from a Neon Challenge. But what I didnt know is it the fact that it was swapped to 2.4L and ultil 1 year ago it was used to run in circuit races but with Electromotive Stand Alone System. My mech knew about this car but what we didnt know this engine came from THAT ONE exactly until this week. What happened? What we found after recheck this crankshatf? At machine shop where this engine was built, they balanced the crankshaft but also made few drill holes to the crank affecting crank timing pattern. For them (former neon owners), it didnt matter because they were using an additional pulley, trigger wheel (or whatever it name it is) but reading timming with a cam trigger sensor. So they werent using its stock crank sensor readings. :shock: :shock:

What means theres two ways to go for me: 1 ) Look for another 2.4L crankshaft or 2 ) Take this crankshaft to a machine shop and try to refill holes with kinda specific solderings able to handle crank sensor magnet. Like reversing that it was done to have stock timming pattern back on it.

Any suggestions??? Sad
-'98 SOHC Neon N/A
RIP !!!

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:11 pm

You can get a 2.4L crank pretty cheap, even brand new from Mopar. I would go that route.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

Nono
1GN Registrant

Post by Nono » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:36 pm

DOHCRT wrote:You can get a 2.4L crank pretty cheap, even brand new from Mopar. I would go that route.
I went to a machine shop today. They also told me would be better going for another crankshaft. They may fix this one but the cant guarantee it will get propertly balanced. Actually they didnt understand why those holes were made for. It didnt make sense for them eigther.

I was looking for another one but... define how much is cheap for you? Hehe!! I cant find one for less than $250 used. :(
-'98 SOHC Neon N/A
RIP !!!

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 pm

You can get a brand new genuine Mopar crankshaft for $294 from dodgeparts.com. Thats pretty cheap considering its brand new and needs no machining.

I would be surprised if you couldn't find someone on neons.org to sell you a used one for less than $100. There isn't a huge demand for crankshafts.

Project Log

Nono
1GN Registrant

Post by Nono » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:04 am

Finally this was the problem. Just in case someone get same thing, something not supopse to happen but here:

Got the crankshaft to the machine shop. $100 and problem solved.
-'98 SOHC Neon N/A
RIP !!!