How-To: Changing Cluster Lights to LED's and Odometer swap.

boorahdurukan
1GN Registrant

How-To: Changing Cluster Lights to LED's and Odometer swap.

Post by boorahdurukan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:18 pm

I just got done changing the bulbs in my new cluster with Red LED's
I chose red for two reasons, My car is red, and red is the color that comes out the best.

Whats needed Bulbs/LED size: 194

I used to have a cluster without a tach, i bought a cluster with a tach, so unless you also want to replace your odometer you do not have to go as far as i did with the install, you can simply just remove the back paper piece, remove bulbs, replace with leds' reinstall

Step 1: Remove Cluster, to do this simply lift up the dash, remove the 4 phillips screw around the cluster, pull straight forward and it should come out

Step 2: Remove the paper backing on the back side of the cluster, this is done by removing all the visible T screws on the back

Step 3: Remove all the screws from the curcuit board, this includes the 2 screw on top and bottom of the connectors

Step 4: Turn around the cluster to the side you see in your car, Remove the 6 screw around it and it will pop right off

Step 5: Now turn it back around to the curcuit board, unplug the grey plug by pushing in and pulling it back towards you

Step 6: CAREFULLY pry off the curcuit board, pull on all sides evenly and slowly and it will pop off

Step 7: Now remove the white piece of plastic that is left, like i said before you do not have to go this far unless like me you are replacing the odometer

Step 8: to put in the LED's remove the bulb sockets by twisting the grey piece on the curcuit board, take all of them out, i chose to only change 10 of the bulbs to LED's, i left the warnings and signals as normal bulbs.

Step 9: Remove the bulb from the socket by getting a VERY small flathead screw driver and snap off the part where the bulbs wires are soldered into the socket at the bottem of the socket, now you should be able to pull the bulb out of the socket with ease

Step 10: Put in the LED by taking the wire at the base of the LED and pulling it out so it sticks out and looks like the wire at the end of the bulb you pulled out, just simply place the LED into the socket and make sure that the wires come out the two holes at the bottom of the socket, now using the small flathead make the wire wrap around the piece of metal at the bottom of the socket, MAKE SURE IT IS TOUCHING SO YOU DONT HAVE TO REDO IT LIKE I HAD TO!!

Step 11: Repeat step 10 for all the bulbs you are changing

Step 12: Put all the LEDS/SOCKETS back onto the curcuit board

Stap 13: Now if you are reaplacing the odometer too unscrew the two screw at the ends of the odometer, take it out and put it aside, not open up your old cluster using the same steps above, now remove odometer from that one and transfer into new one.

Step 14: Place the white plactic back over the cluster

Step 15: Place the front plastic back on and screw it in with the 6 screws

Step 16: Carefully Put the curcuit board back on, make sure all the needle shafts slide into the holes, screw in all the screws removed

Step 17: Plug the odometer cable back into the plug you removed it from

Step 19: Now screw in the black piece of paper on the back,

Step 20: Put it back into the car, push it into the plugs and make sure its nice and snug, screw in the 4 phillips screws back in, place the dash back over it, make sure it all snaps into place, start car and test it out! Like i said i didnt double check to make sure the wires were touching, so they werent all lit up the first time around, that is when i took the pic, since then i have fixed the problem and i will take pics later tomorrow and update!

here are some more pics of it in "action" some of them are very trippy

1998 Dodge Neon Highline- 3.0 CAI, Flowmaster, more soon.

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:28 pm

holy light pics batman! hey where did u get those bulbs?
-Lugo-

boorahdurukan
1GN Registrant

Post by boorahdurukan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:43 pm

EBAY!!!

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:50 pm

Looks really nice.

Was there a reason why you disassembled the whole cluster instead of just unscrewing the bulb sockets? Sorry if I missed that part.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

monkeyman9630
1GN Registrant

Post by monkeyman9630 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:08 pm

yeah he was changing his odometer
-Lugo-

boorahdurukan
1GN Registrant

Post by boorahdurukan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:11 pm

Beat me to it!

DMez
1GN Registrant

Post by DMez » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:19 pm

Since no one on the org can give me a straight answer, are the 194's 3mm, 5mm, or10mm?
Excellence is a decision you make every day...

vielecustoms
1GN Registrant

Post by vielecustoms » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:26 pm

I tried this one in the past..... not as easy as it looks I ended up breaking a few led's. BUT http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html sells pre assembled twist lock with the leds. of course you can put any color in, but rember that it will have the orange from the stock filter in there.

boorahdurukan
1GN Registrant

Post by boorahdurukan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:30 pm

I had to run down and measure the spare one i had, but it looks like it right around 5mm.

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:33 pm

try using your steering wheel as a base for holding the camera it will strengthen your night shots.

boorahdurukan
1GN Registrant

Post by boorahdurukan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:02 pm

Well i went down and took new pictures and even a video for s&g, im waiting for my Red LED HVAC panel then everything will be red LED's, even my fogs, they have 7 diffrent colors and i dont use any of them except the normal light, but its cool that they are there.

chrono_killa
1GN Registrant

Post by chrono_killa » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:53 pm

damm i want to a do this in green
BIGRAM wrote:i ain't gay you sucked my dick
My Cars-98 plymouth highline neon, atx, msd coil, 3.0 intake, ebay udp
Future mods- magnum head, magnum header, rims, msd wires, 60mm tb, dohc pistons, 2.5" dual exhaust, modded valvebody, filled mounts, switch to a tach cluster with green leds and some more shit

Cokedoctor
1GN Registrant

Post by Cokedoctor » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:59 am

chrono_killa wrote:damm i want to a do this in green
I was just thinking about that, for my NYG. Then I got to thinking...how annoying would it get, with green LED's staring at me in the middle of night on the drive home. Not too sure if I'd like it afterall.
J.Marbs
'03 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport - New Daily
'95 Dodge Neon NYG ACR Coupe-1 of 98
'89 Toyota Supra Turbo
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSi
'87 Chrysler Conquest TSi

98moparR/T
1GN Registrant

Post by 98moparR/T » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:21 pm

cokedoctor check out my project log I believe I got some pics of my mattdog cluster that you would love for your nyg
Adam

member # 5

04 blue srt4 - tein ss coilovers, dsp tuned, mpx exhaust, agp hardline with greddy type S bov
04 black srt4 - sold
owned 6 other neons and more to come

cudahy
1GN Registrant

what number of led fit???

Post by cudahy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:06 pm

what number of led fit??? i was told 195 w5 or something but i want
red