1GN.ORG 1GN.ORG
get yer n00b on

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ  Forum RulesForum Rules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vortec Supercharger Versus Natural Aspiration - Forced Induc

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asifmalik1134
1GN Registrant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Vortec Supercharger Versus Natural Aspiration - Forced Induc Reply with quote

Have you ever wondered why a lot of people are getting away from building up naturally aspirated engines? Is there a better way than having to replace heads, cams shafts, intake manifolds and other expensive performance components to get big horsepower? I've built my share of fast cars over the years, one in particular was a mustang with a transplanted naturally aspirated big-block that made a solid 400 horsepower and got about 10 miles per gallon. I thought that car was the fastest thing around for a long time, until I was at a stoplight one day and a 94 small-block Camaro pulled up next to me. It really didn't sound like anything special, except it was making a slight howling noise from the exhaust, but I thought nothing of it. I really thought I was the king of the road, but was I in for a big surprise! The stoplight we were at seemed really long as I sat and shook and rattled as my killer big-block heated up more and more the longer we sat there.

The light turned green and I didn't really plan to race because I figured this boringly quiet Camaro wanted nothing to do with me. What happened next changed my opinion about superchargers forever! That Camaro took off so fast, before I knew we were racing he was already 5 car-lengths ahead, there was nothing I could do but wait and hopefully catch another light to try again. A few blocks later we caught a red light and I was ready to go this time! The light turned green and we were gone, this little small block killed me out of the hole and I couldn't catch him in any gear no matter what I did, he was winning, and winning big!! That seemingly stock Camaro kicked my rear end from start to finish!! After that embarrassment I had to stop this guy to find out his secret, and it was so simple it was sickening. All he had was a 350 with a forged crankshaft, rods and pistons with a set of rebuilt 202 camel hump heads and a very mild camshaft, oh ya he also had a Vortec centrifugal supercharger with a tiny overdrive pulley. To my surprise, that quiet little supercharged small block made well over 500 horsepower and he had far less money into his car than I did, I was sick to my stomach!

After that day I made the decision to sell my gas guzzling big block and buy a supercharger friendly short-block, with a set of basically stock heads, cam and a good aluminum intake. I decided to go with a inter-cooled Vortec centrifugal supercharger, I wanted to run the bigger under-drive pulley for normal driving, but i also purchased the smaller overdrive pulley with a flash tuner for when I wanted an extra 100 horsepower, I was hooked!! I never realized how bad I needed a supercharger until I had my pride handed to me by somebody that had one.

Going from the rough idling, gas guzzling big-block to the supercharged small-block was by far the best choice I made in a long time, the car didn't over-heat sitting at a light for too long anymore and had far better idle quality, not to mention it sure fooled a lot of people! In my opinion, forced induction is really the only way to go anymore with emissions standards the way they are, you get clean, reliable, comparatively cheap horsepower with very few problems. I give 2 thumbs up to forced induction for several reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    1GN.ORG Forum Index -> Forced Induction All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: