How-To: Performance ATX Valve Body Install *PICS & VIDEO

Lackof
1GN Registrant

How-To: Performance ATX Valve Body Install *PICS & VIDEO

Post by Lackof » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:11 am

edit
Last edited by Lackof on Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

98acrsilver
1GN n00b

Post by 98acrsilver » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:45 pm

impressive harder shifts

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:55 pm

ummm.. Well strangely my car has the same shift points and around the same RPM's, and I don't even have the valve body installed. I'm not getting how it messes w/ shift points right now. So is the shift firmness really that improved over stock then?
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:07 pm

NinjaneonTurtle wrote:ummm.. Well strangely my car has the same shift points and around the same RPM's, and I don't even have the valve body installed. I'm not getting how it messes w/ shift points right now. So is the shift firmness really that improved over stock then?
It increases your rev limiter just a little bit more and the shift have no hesitation in them. I can guarantee if you are running your stock vb then your nowhere near what this is. If your in first it will not shift out just under normal cruising. In a stock neon under normal accel. it would shift around 3k .. this will run th gears out a lot longer. Easy tire chirping effects with this.

I also have this shift kit for sale that is in this video for anyone interested!
Performance Valve bodies
Street/Strip valve bodies that fits Chryslers Neon with A670 Transmissions. The Street/Strip is fully automatic and produces tire chirping shifts. Filter, gasket and instructions are included and installs in less than two hours with simple hand tools. Get the performance you need! Unit only works with the three speed transmissions from 95-2001.

Please note: This unit does not change anything inside the cabin and works to change how the transmission shifts.

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:16 pm

Oh I see, so you don't have to stomp on it for it to go really, it'll give you the cruising accelleration instead of the tranny wanting to go into 3rd right away. Sorry, must have read somewhere about the revs being different. can't vouch for the source but yeah. Nifty.
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

NickKo
1GN n00b

Post by NickKo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:12 pm

GREAT write-up !!

A couple of bits of advice, based on my own experience:

I find that it is a good idea to loosen / BACK OUT, or even remove, the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH when removing or installing the valvebody.

I broke the plastic detent cam /actuator which rides on the neutral safety switch on the inside of the trans, while removing the valvebody.
Fortunately, I was swapping out valvebodies, so I had a replacement ready to go in.
If I did not, and I was working with only one valvebody, I would have been screwed. :(

Another thing: When doing the Shift Kit mod, NOW is a good time to perform a Band Adjustment.
The valvebody has to be removed to adjust the 1st gear/reverse band anyway, so now is the time to do it.

-NK
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX=52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1995 4-dr SOHC ATX=UDP; header; shift kit; 55mm TB; 2nd Gen frt.brakes
DOHC mufflers, Kirk intakes, U1-3 batt.; MP PCM, on both.

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl.
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:20 pm

NickKo wrote:GREAT write-up !!

A couple of bits of advice, based on my own experience:

I find that it is a good idea to loosen / BACK OUT, or even remove, the NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH when removing or installing the valvebody.

I broke the plastic detent cam /actuator which rides on the neutral safety switch on the inside of the trans, while removing the valvebody.
Fortunately, I was swapping out valvebodies, so I had a replacement ready to go in.
If I did not, and I was working with only one valvebody, I would have been screwed. :(

Another thing: When doing the Shift Kit mod, NOW is a good time to perform a Band Adjustment.
The valvebody has to be removed to adjust the 1st gear/reverse band anyway, so now is the time to do it.

-NK
Thanks but how did you break it?! ... get to a lil excited to get it out and the other in? ;) i dunno how you could break anything at all. All you do is loosen the bolts and the VB literally falls out into your hands unless you twisted the VB when you pulled it out further.

Yes it would be a good time to adjust them, but if they are not needed then don't do it. Adjust your bands can be a bit of a hassle for those who have not done it before and can mess somethings up you don't want.

Although i say if you can do this then band adjustment isn't to much harder.

NickKo
1GN n00b

Post by NickKo » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:30 pm

Skill wrote:
NickKo wrote:I broke the plastic detent cam /actuator which rides on the neutral safety switch on the inside of the trans, while removing the valvebody.
-NK
Thanks but how did you break it?! ... get to a lil excited to get it out and the other in? ;) i dunno how you could break anything at all. All you do is loosen the bolts and the VB literally falls out into your hands unless you twisted the VB when you pulled it out further.
Mine was stubborn, and didn't want to come out without a fight.
I wish that mine 'literally fell out into my hands." :|
I didn't have to hammer it or anything, but I did have to yank and tug to get it out.

I have done a shift kit previously, so I wasn't totally inexperienced.
But I am a natural dufus, and I shouldn't be working on cars anyways. :lol:

-Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX=52mm TB; Maddog STS
-1995 4-dr SOHC ATX=UDP; header; shift kit; 55mm TB; 2nd Gen frt.brakes
DOHC mufflers, Kirk intakes, U1-3 batt.; MP PCM, on both.

-1971 Ply.Scamp SL6cyl.
-1968 Chry.300 w/440 V8 (sold)
"MoPar or No Car"

chrono_killa
1GN Registrant

Post by chrono_killa » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:03 am

does this affect your gas mileage? and will it make your atx accelerate faster?
BIGRAM wrote:i ain't gay you sucked my dick
My Cars-98 plymouth highline neon, atx, msd coil, 3.0 intake, ebay udp
Future mods- magnum head, magnum header, rims, msd wires, 60mm tb, dohc pistons, 2.5" dual exhaust, modded valvebody, filled mounts, switch to a tach cluster with green leds and some more shit

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:34 pm

does not affect MPG yes it will make you accelerate faster to an extent as in your gears change faster with no hesitation putting more power to your wheels .. from a dead stop, no. It changes the way your car shifts.

I still have my vb i installed from this write up for sale and will prob lower the price if interested.

chrono_killa
1GN Registrant

Post by chrono_killa » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:21 pm

would a turbo set up be better with this or w/o?
Future mods- magnum head, magnum header, rims, msd wires, 60mm tb, dohc pistons, 2.5" dual exhaust, modded valvebody, filled mounts, switch to a tach cluster with green leds and some more shit

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:52 pm

i couldn't answer that for you, sry man. Neer heard it was bad or good?

chrono_killa
1GN Registrant

Post by chrono_killa » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:52 pm

k ill try to hit up racersteve on .org and see how he builds his atx's

NinjaneonTurtle
1GN Registrant

Post by NinjaneonTurtle » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:34 pm

I noticed there's also an E-clip on the linkage ontop of the tranny. well worth all the trouble and the ATF bath =] feels like a different car
1998 Neon R/T Coupe
1988 Colt Hatchback

chrono_killa
1GN Registrant

Post by chrono_killa » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:18 am

i used yer how to today to put the other vb in today, great how to. wish i could say the same for the mod. ahah