Ebay header

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:44 am

Lol there you go. Thanks rice eater

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:30 pm

1genRTturbo wrote:
Rice_Eater wrote: they r alot better then thes dohc guys think they r.
hellz yeah. my probe is a 12v sohc and it rocks out. sometimes i like driving it more then my r/t... sometimes.

That totally makes the SOHC Neon better, cause that's totally related, right?

I enjoy driving my 8v SOHC e30 more than a Neon, too; however it won't be 8valve, or SOHC for long.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:36 pm

i cant tell if your being sarcastic or not. but im not so up on the sohc neon. my sister drove a sedan 98sohc, it was an ok car. we just never did anything to it.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:16 pm

SOHC Neons are great for DD/commuters, beaters, run arounds or projects not about overall power or speed. I like the simplicity and they have a reputation of being more bulletproof due to that simplicity in the valvetrain.

I was just kind of referring to the fact that you're likening your SOHC v-6 Probe to a SOHC Neon engine; or you just said it for no reason...

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

INVUJerry
1GN Registrant

Post by INVUJerry » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:06 pm

Rice_Eater wrote:comp of a 1st gen sohc is

stock 9.8:1
with dohc pistons 10.3:1 (what mine is)
with dohc pistons and gasket shimed 10.8:1(what mine will be)

im one of the guys bigram knows that owns and messes with the sohc. the intake deal is u have to drill it for a single and cut the water neck off and have a plate made to tilt the sohc water neck to the side. its not really worth the effort tho. better off geting a aluminum sohc intake and p&ping that and what not. ask me if u need anything else ive know most of the tricks on a sohc. they r alot better then thes dohc guys think they r.
I have a built SOHC motor in my 98 coupe. Honestly, with all the work done to it, if it had 1 more cam, it'd be LOADS faster.

Honestly, stick with the stock plastic intake for now. If you want a decent upgrade, fuck everything else, and get a magnum intake manifold. You have to run a 2000 neon throttle body, and a 2gn starter, but it'll be worth it. Or else, get a box intake.
2005 Neon SXT Black - SOLD
1998 Neon Coupe - SOLD
2004 Neon SRT-4 - 13.9@102
1995 Neon ACR NYG Sedan - 12.5:1 SOHC coming
1996 ACR Sedan - Koni yellows, stock as hell
Free Philly

Rice_Eater
1GN Registrant

Post by Rice_Eater » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:00 am

INVUJerry wrote:

im one of the guys bigram knows that owns and messes with the sohc. the intake deal is u have to drill it for a single and cut the water neck off and have a plate made to tilt the sohc water neck to the side. its not really worth the effort tho. better off geting a aluminum sohc intake and p&ping that and what not. ask me if u need anything else ive know most of the tricks on a sohc. they r alot better then thes dohc guys think they r.
I have a built SOHC motor in my 98 coupe. Honestly, with all the work done to it, if it had 1 more cam, it'd be LOADS faster.

Honestly, stick with the stock plastic intake for now. If you want a decent upgrade, fuck everything else, and get a magnum intake manifold. You have to run a 2000 neon throttle body, and a 2gn starter, but it'll be worth it. Or else, get a box intake.
id say get a box intake over a magnum. theres more crap u have to buy and put on and if u add up how much it would cost to get all of it would be the same is a box intake cost. plus a box intake would give more. do what he said stay with the stock plastic intake. thats what im runing with a 55mm tb until i get a box one.
Definition of Rice Eater
Requirements when you initially register!! Click Here

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Here are some quick pics of the neon in its current state.Shit I forgot engine bay shots oh well its still messy anyway.Ill include shots of my other cars as well but there old.The 540 has the front trim on.The camaros the same.Also some shots of my little slice of florida heaven.My garage has an elevator it makes getting to the 3rd floor and the forums easy.

Im putting on another coilover sleeve tonite.They didnt lower the car at all it sits at stock height im gonna have the strut assembly machined later on.But Ima get all of them on first.The ride in the one corner is really nice.Were I can feel the stock suspension struggling the one corner doesent its a lil bouncy but I still got to lower it a lil.It still holds tighter in the one corner raised a lil higher than stock as well.

Well im gonna go do the other sleeve now here the pics I promised.

Ill get engine shots another day

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p232 ... 102241.jpg

http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p232 ... 02240c.jpg

Cars:99 SOHC ,95 540i,94 Camaro RS

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:59 pm

roysneon wrote:SOHC Neons are great for DD/commuters, beaters, run arounds or projects not about overall power or speed. I like the simplicity and they have a reputation of being more bulletproof due to that simplicity in the valvetrain.

I was just kind of referring to the fact that you're likening your SOHC v-6 Probe to a SOHC Neon engine; or you just said it for no reason...
Id have to agree with you fully no way do I think im gonna make this sohc fast.It would take a lot of work to get a sohc fast.But they are fun to throw around in some corners.

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:02 pm

Rice_Eater wrote:
INVUJerry wrote:

id say get a box intake over a magnum. theres more crap u have to buy and put on and if u add up how much it would cost to get all of it would be the same is a box intake cost. plus a box intake would give more. do what he said stay with the stock plastic intake. thats what im runing with a 55mm tb until i get a box one.
I have no welding experience but since im going back to school an they got welding.Do you think a beginner welder would be abel to do a decent job if I supply the dohc runners,A throttle body plate,and some aluminum?

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:59 am

I can't tell from the pics; is that battery held down at all? If something happened, like an accident, emergency maneuvers, etc. that just becomes a projectile spewing hot acid through your vehicle.

If I were you I'd cut my losses with those springs, try to sell them or something, and find some cheap lowering springs. Pair them with KYB GR-2's since it's just a run-around car.

People may bash on the GR-2's and say only go with Koni's, but the KYB's have a warranty up to a certain drop rating (I think it's 1.5"?) and would be fine with something like Mopar HI-rates or the Performance Driven springs.

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:37 pm

roysneon wrote:I can't tell from the pics; is that battery held down at all? If something happened, like an accident, emergency maneuvers, etc. that just becomes a projectile spewing hot acid through your vehicle.

Agreed I took these shots all mid project.I have the battery tray made it just needs to be mounted.

Lovinlyfe4DUB
1GN Registrant

Post by Lovinlyfe4DUB » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:51 pm

So enough about my car.What are you guys workin with?Do you have any pics I could see?

Im planning on stickin to this forums for the entire time i own the neon.i cant use the .org anymore because my email is registered to another name and I cant change it.

1genRTturbo
1GN Registrant

Post by 1genRTturbo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:53 pm

my probe isnt a v-6. its the 2.2 sohc turbo 4cyl. and its a blast, better than the 2.0 sohc from a neon. mostly cause its factory turbo.
It's not the fall that hurts, it's the sudden stop at the bottom!

roysneon

Post by roysneon » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Yep, that would do it. Just not sure why that's relevant to anything in this thread though.

Also, this is way off topic now, so I'm moving it.

nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

Post by nuklhed074 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:22 am

I actually have a 95 cam i was lookin to get rid of..and get an atx tb, a tb spacer, move your battery and run a legit CAI, not an ebay one that just makes noise. Also if you dont have emissions take out the cat and run any muffler except a fart can lol. Preferably i think most guys run the dohc muffler. Do run a udp and someone, i cant remember who, makes overdrive pulleys for your alternator. Dont bother with a coil or plugs there is no hp in that the firing kv of the stock is just fine. Just get hotter plugs. Also try to run smaller, 14, 15, or 16 inch aluminum wheels easier to turn and can get power to the ground better. Do DOHC pistons, and 01 or 02 r/t rods if you can find them thats the best ways i can think of making "cheap power" and staying SOHC
My sohc runs good mid 15s should i do dohc?