kyb gr-2

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

kyb gr-2

Post by nuklhed074 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:55 pm

I have been looking to upgrade and lower my car a little more than just with the lowering springs i have now. What would be a good strut to go with, also going for improved handling and trying to keep it reasonably cheap
My sohc runs good mid 15s should i do dohc?

custom95neon
1GN Registrant

Post by custom95neon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:14 pm

i need to know the same thing. you should post what you chose and now it works out when you get your new struts.

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:36 am

you only have 2 real choices. KYB's or Koni's

KYB's are good firmer than stock struts. but they do no hold up well to lowering.
Koni's are adjustable struts. Expensive, are still known to blow on lowered cars. They can be sent out and re valved to help combat the lowering but still runs the risk.

If you where to spend the money on Koni's I would save a few more hundred and just by coilovers.

JmAnneonrt
1GN Registrant

Post by JmAnneonrt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:53 pm

i got kyb gr-2s with skunk2 lowering springs and i dont have any problems and i dont see much difference in the ride compared to stock which is good.

Mr. Pink
1GN Registrant

Post by Mr. Pink » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:41 pm

wickedgoodneon wrote:you only have 2 real choices. KYB's or Koni's

KYB's are good firmer than stock struts. but they do no hold up well to lowering.
Koni's are adjustable struts. Expensive, are still known to blow on lowered cars. They can be sent out and re valved to help combat the lowering but still runs the risk.

If you where to spend the money on Koni's I would save a few more hundred and just by coilovers.
Koni's do awesome with lowered vehicles. In the years i have been modding cars, i have never had a set of Koni's blow out on me. And i have ran them on countless vehicles. I have also ran full coilovers on my past few cars that i have had as well.

If they are in your budget i would look into getting full coilovers like was said.
00 neon
99 neon
03 2500hd

BIGRAM
1GN Registrant

Post by BIGRAM » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:49 pm

Kyb,bilsten,koni,eibach,monroe

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:19 am

BIGRAM wrote:Kyb,bilsten,koni,eibach,monroe
You can't get Bilstein or Eibach struts for a 1st gen.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Re: kyb gr-2

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:40 am

nuklhed074 wrote:..... also going for improved handling and trying to keep it reasonably cheap
did your car come with a rear sway bar? if it didn't, it also means it came with a smaller front sway bar. if you go to the junkyard and grab the necessary parts, you could add them to you car for relatively cheap . you'd be surprised how much better just stock sized sway bars will make the car handle. compared to my 95 Sport, my 98 Highline felt like driving a bowl of pudding around corners. of course, for a bit more money there are aftermarket sways available in bigger sizes. you can use the chart below to find the parts you need.

about struts, like already mentioned, Koni's or coilovers are the most cost effective ways to lower a 1st gen. either will cost a bit more than KYB's (or Monroes) but will last a hell of a lot longer. i'm lowered on H&R Race Springs and i've used both KYB's and Monroe Sensa-Trac's. each set only lasted about a year. both sets cost around $500 but i only got two years out of that $500. if i had spent twice as much on a set of coilovers, i wouldn't be needing to replace the Monroes in a few weeks when my 95 goes back on the road.

nuklhed074
1GN Registrant

Post by nuklhed074 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Well thanks this has been helpful info. I would love yo run BC coilovers, just money is the issue and i want to be lower now. I have good drop springs, i think i will go with the kybs just because of price. I would love to find some konis but at that rate, i would go with coilovers, even though coilovers are a little stiffer than konis, making them handle just a little worse, the roughness making it more prone to wanting to slide. And as for sway bars i have a stock front looking for a rear have been thinking about going with the Eibach set though expensive..worth it. I have lowering springs, and wheels spacers that helped but with the full poly suspension kit and sway bars and some form of better strut, mine are jus aftermarket monroes nothing special just have the camber adjustment.
My sohc runs good mid 15s should i do dohc?

Echoalpha23
1GN Registrant

Post by Echoalpha23 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:41 pm

if money is an issue, and you are thinking about eventually going coil-over, then just get the lifetime warranty Kragen specials... they will work "just as good" until you can afford to step your game up!