Tensioner?

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
Tyler
1GN Registrant

Tensioner?

Post by Tyler » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Long time since Ive posted guys.

Car started making an odd noise today, brought it home and checked all fluids, etc. Found nothing except a loud "squeeking" sound coming from the timing belt area. Upon further investigation, my timing belt is going from the inner to the outer part of my cam gear. Top end only has about 10k miles on it, but the one thing I did not change when I put the Crane#14 in was the tensioner.

Think this is probably my issue?
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:22 pm

There are two pulleys that determine the fore and aft position of the timing belt on the gears. The water pump sprocket prevents the belt from moving too far back on the gears, and the crank sprocket prevents the belt from walking off the front of the gears. Its normal for the belt not to be centered on the gears, as long as it is not hanging off of the front or back edges of the gears. If its hanging off the front of the gears, your crank sprocket is not installed deep enough or is walking off the crank. There could also be something trying to push the belt towards the front of the gears. If the belt is hanging over the back of the gears, look at the water pump sprocket. Make sure neither one of the timing belt covers are rubbing against the timing belt. You should probably change the tensioner pulley regardless.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log