heater quit working

Have a question that your not sure what category it fits into or isn't really a specific question about a specific part? Ask it here...
TNK
1GN Registrant

heater quit working

Post by TNK » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:37 am

so, last week my heater quit working at idle, i had already bought a thermostat cuz i was fighting some overheating issues over the summer. last night i started the car to warm it up before work and when i came out for work i had a CEL, checked the codes and got a code 17. so i changed the t-stat today... and now it's worse, my heater only works sometimes while driving, and not at all at idle. causes? solutions? i'm on a budget, as is any other Neon owner, so i'd like to trouble shoot the problem before running out and buying a radiator and/or water pump

Modify Your Car - Modify Your Body - Modify Your Life
WTB in NW: Clean 1g Sedan

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:00 am

Sounds like something is plugged, try flushing the system out with the old garden hose trick. If the car has any headgasket trouble in the past, that great oil+water sludge is probally gunked up in all sorts of places.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07

JaxMadine
1GN Registrant

Post by JaxMadine » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:00 am

heater as in no heat or no fan? no heat your coolant might be low or have an air bubble. Check the level. Also the core could be plugged, you could try flushing it. Does it gurgle?

sabu
1GN Registrant

Post by sabu » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:37 pm

I'd bet on bad heater core. Loop your coolant system, go to a car wash, blast water through the heater core with the wand. High pressure for the win. Worked for me on my two previous cars. The passages are quite small in a heater core and get clogged up easy with age.

If that doesn't solve your problem, go to a rad shop and get your system pressure tested to make sure you don't have any leaks anywhere. When was the last time you replaced the cap for the cooling system?
1997 Plymouth Neon Sport - Daily Driver
1998 Dodge Neon EX - Turbo, MegaSquirt
Bzevey wrote:Its just....JUST!!! WTF IS JUX???

JUST because you're deaf doesn't mean you're fucking blind

and that goes to anyone

TNK
1GN Registrant

Post by TNK » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:07 am

i added more coolant, and ran it a couple times and the trouble seems to be gone. thanks guys.

Modify Your Car - Modify Your Body - Modify Your Life
WTB in NW: Clean 1g Sedan