I grew tired enough of my speedometer jumping around and only working half the time so I broke out the soldering gun and decided to fix it. I had first tried to simply re-flow the solder as outlined in the stickied How To and installed it back in my vehicle and this did not fix the problem. So I decided to record the process to give everyone a look at what it looks like to add solder to all the pins, how much, my technique, etc. If you decide to perform this repair I suggest you just go ahead and add solder to all the pins the first time around. As long as you are careful not to add too much and make sure no solder over flows and touches any pins next to it you will have no problems. Now my cluster is working perfectly and I took an hour drive to verify the repair. Not once did the speedometer or any other gauge stop working like it normally would after 20 minutes. Finally I'll be able to see what kind of fuel economy I'm getting by recording every mile with the trip counter
I didn't record the removal process of the cluster from the vehicle. If you can't figure out how to get it out of the car then maybe you shouldn't be trying to solder anything.....
1 post • Page 1 of 1