Stock SRT-4 shift rod in 1 gen *with pics!*

roysneon

Stock SRT-4 shift rod in 1 gen *with pics!*

Post by roysneon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:17 am

This isn't a performance mod per se, but it would be a good time to add Booger bushings or "Kyle mod" rod ends on the shifter cables. If using just the stock rod it's mostly a cosmetic enhancement.

First step: Remove centre console. If you can't figure that out, I'd give up now.

The second step is to remove the shifter assembly from your car.
Pull up the shift boot. It's held on to the shifter assembly by three "Christmas Tree" type clips.

Next step is to detach the cables from the shifter. You can just bry them off with a screwdriver, because hopefully you'll be replacing the bushings anyway.

This is what you'll be looking at for the crossover lever side.

And the other side.

These clips hold the cables in place on the shifter and must be removed before the cables will come off of the shifter completely.

Now it's time to start unbolting the shifter assembly.

In order to get the shifter assembly free, you have to remove these bolts holding the airbag module plate down. I believe they're 13mm.
Remove the rear bolt holding the E-brake handle down. All of these parts are sitting on top of the shifter base, and you won't be able to remove the shifter assembly easily without removing all of these parts.

With all of that removed, you're left with two 10 mm bolts holding the shifter in.

Now remove the entire shifter assembly. You'll need to re-use some parts from it, so don't do anything drastic with it just yet.
First, remove the stock shift knob and get that and the boot out of the way. It clips on on either side of the rod. You won't be able to use it with the SRT rod, so you'll need either an SRT/PT knob or something aftermarket.

You should now be looking at something similar to this:

And now the real fun begins.

Here you see the SRT shifter and the 1 gen shifter. SRT is front, 1 gen rear. As you can see, the base is different, but the pivot ball housing is exactly the same. What you'll need to do is use the SRT rod/pivot ball housing on the 1 gen base/crossover lever.

Carefully remove this "C" clip so as not to lose it. This will let you pull the crossover lever from the housing.

The three nuts seen here are what you have to remove to get the pivot ball housing off of the shifter base.

This is what will be needed for your SRT rod on 1 gen base. The SRT rod and pivot ball housing, 1gen crossover lever and shifter base.

The SRT pivot ball housing bolts to the 1 gen base the same way as the 1 gen housing did. Re-install the crossover lever with the spring the way it was. Remember the c-clip, or it could fall apart on you.

This is what you'll be left with. Notice how muc hcooler the polished/offset rod looks? :)

Installation is the reverse or removal. Here's a picture of mine with the stock boot.

Now taking 1gn of the month submissions for free 1gn.org window decals! Details here

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:48 am

Adding my 2 cents Roy.

I did this without even removing the clips on the shift linkage. I did it all in the car also, although it was uncomfortable.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

::95 Sprt Coupe::

::04 Gray Neon SXT::

wickedgoodneon
1GN Registrant

Post by wickedgoodneon » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:17 am

no 2gn console and srt boot?

i cant wait to do mine.

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:04 pm

wickedgoodneon wrote:no 2gn console and srt boot?

i cant wait to do mine.
2gn console and boot is what I'm doing next now that I have the shifter n all.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"

neon_freak
1GN Registrant

Post by neon_freak » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:06 pm

what benefits are there to having a srt rod?
95 strawberry coupe mtx sohc

pacesetter header/catback, sts, boogers, 3.0, atx tb, ported intake, mp ecu, solid bobble strut, magnecor wires

98 white rt coupe mtx 2.4

mopar ecu, egr kit. ur street pulley, mpx 60mm, iceman, msd wires/coil, solid mounts, ractive header, vibrant muffler

old 2.0-145.4hp@6161rpm, 134.5tq@5218rpm

keeders08
1GN Registrant

Post by keeders08 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:06 am

neon_freak wrote:what benefits are there to having a srt rod?
Its all in what ya like. u can use stock srt shifter ball and thats why i did it plus i like it being staggerd as well. I drove my buddys srt and loved it... also did solid shift linkage simply cuz i like the feel.
KEEDY/"KEEDERS"/"KUTTER"