How-To: Booger Bushing Install

infil

How-To: Booger Bushing Install

Post by infil » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:54 pm

Boogers are overall pretty easy to get to and install. The engine compartment bushings are the easiest, lets start there.
If you are running a CAI that places the tube in the stock location(wrapping around the valve cover), you may need to remove it for easier access to the shifter cable ends.
Definately reccomend popping the PDC off of the battery tray.
To remove the cables from the transmission(one at a time) pry with a small prybar or flat screwdriver. The cable will pop off, then just get the bushing out with a screwdriver or other small pry tool. Push the booger in and push the cable back down over the shifter arm post. Repeat for the other bushing. Note 2 different sizes in the engine bay and the alignment tabs on the larger of the 2.

The interior bushings ont he shifter are a bit trickier.
First off remove the center console. 2 screws in the cup holders, 2 in the armrest compartment, and 4 bolts under the compartment(13 or 14mm, cant remember) slide the seats forward to access these bolts. After all bolts are out and the console is free, pull the e brake lever as far up as you can, slide the seats back as far as you can and wiggle the console out of the car. It can be a bit of a pain, however the console is pretty flexible and will come out with some maneuvering. pulling the shifter into 4th makes it a bit easier as well.

Once the console is out, use the same pry method on the cables inside to remove the cable from the shifter and bushings from the cable, again one at a time. Make sure not to disturb the V shaped spring on the shifter, as that returns the shifter to center.

Once the bushings are installed, reassemble the shifter console, take it out for a drive and beat the hell out of it :p

Note: Make sure you feel the bushings lock into place when installing. if they are not locked into place the cables can come off and cause you to not be able to shift properly or at all.

Enjoy!!
Infil <--click
AMSOIL, Technical Auto Group, S.I. J&V Tools
Fast Times Performance 2002 Subaru WRX 2.5, 11.936@113.18
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:22 am

Thanks man! Will help out a lot!

Any chance on a few pix?
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

infil

Post by infil » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:40 am

check my gallery heh, i'll get installed pix of the bushings for ya, check my gallery, there might be one there. i'll get interior pix when i have the car at the shop next week.
Infil <--click
AMSOIL, Technical Auto Group, S.I. J&V Tools
Fast Times Performance 2002 Subaru WRX 2.5, 11.936@113.18
95 All Motor Neon
13.958@96.99
SOHC - ALL MOTOR - STOCK BLOCK

APN
1GN Registrant

Post by APN » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:45 am

:lol: thanks.. Why don't you have it listed in mods?? :D
APN wrote:
Jordan2.4 wrote:Apn...please make a new sig with pictures of your car CLEAN...i am tired of looking at the dirt...
That's called chipping paint son. Get some glasses. 8)

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:57 pm

As simple as some may think this is, boogers can be a bit of a PITA to install. Thanks for posting.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

Tyler
1GN Registrant

Post by Tyler » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:14 pm

True, thay can be a pain to get it.
97 sohc- 'Victoria'

Lackof
1GN Registrant

Post by Lackof » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:18 pm

The interior ones are a PAIN!

There is actually video footage of the install somewhere on the .org. Search it out and post it up if anyone finds it.