How-To: SRT Hurst in 1st gen

Post by SlvrACR » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:13 pm

TOOLS NEEDED
Phillips Head Screw Driver
Standard Flat Head Screw Driver
Really Small Flat Head Screw Driver
Regular Pliers
Needle Nose Pliers
3/8 Socket Wrench (13mm Socket and Extension)
1/4 Socket Wrench (8mm and 10mm socket)
Adjustable Wrench
9/16 Crescent Wrench
3/16 Hex Wrench
7/32 Hex Wrench
Hammer

1. Get in car

2. Remove stock shift knob

3. Remove shifter boot

4. Remove center console

5. Pull parking brake up as far as it will go

6. Recline front seats to make removal of console easier

7. Raise the back of the console up and move over the parking brake while pulling to the rear of the vehicle

8. Gently pry off the selector cable from the shifter pin and gently pry off the crossover cable from the crossover lever pin (Flat Head Screw Driver)

9. Remove and set aside the cable retaining clips from the shifter mounting bracket (Regular Pliers, Flat Head Screw Driver, and Hammer) Hint: Arrange the flat side of the driver side clip so it faces the passenger side using the regular pliers, than place the flat head screw driver inside the clip, next take the hammer and tap the end of the screw driver to remove the clip. For the passenger side, use the pliers to maneuver the flat edge of the clip to face the floor board, than use the same technique for the driver side clip

10. Remove shifter cables from the shifter mounting bracket Hint: If you pull toward the firewall on the cable it will give just enough slack to remove the cables from the shifter mounting bracket

11. Remove and set aside the 4 nuts securing the shifter mounting bracket and remove shifter assembly from the car (13mm Socket and 3/8 Driver)

12. Remove and set aside the 3 nuts securing the stock pivot housing to the shifter mounting bracket and remove the stock pivot housing and stock shifter from the shifter mounting bracket (8mm Socket and 1/4 Driver)

13. Remove and set aside the "E" clip securing the crossover cable lever from the stock pivot housing (Needle Nose Pliers and Really Small Flat Head) Hint: Pry the "E" clip outwards with the really small flat head and pull off with the needle nose pliers

14. Pull the crossover cable lever and spring assembly out of the pivot housing slowly to prevent the spring from flying off and set aside Hint: Look at the lever spring closely and remember how it goes back on as it will take some manipulation to get it back on

15. Remove and set aside the plastic bushing from the crossover cable lever assembly

16. Remove the shifter stick from the stock pivot housing and slide the plastic pivot socket downward off of the stick and set aside

17. Remove and set aside the steel sleeves from the rubber grommets on the shifter mounting bracket (Really Small Flat Head) Hint: Use the really small flat head to pry the steel sleeves out of the grommets

18. Remove the rubber grommets from the shifter mounting bracket (Standard Flat Head) Hint: Use the standard flat head

STOCK PARTS NEEDED FOR HURST SHIFTER
1. 1gn Shifter Mounting Bracket
2. Plastic Pivot Socket for Shifter
3. Crossover Cable Lever and Spring Assembly
4. Plastic Bushing for Crossover Cable Lever
5. Steel Sleeves for Rubber Grommets
6. "E" Clip for Crossover Cable Lever
7. 3 8mm Nuts from Pivot Housing
8. 4 13mm Nuts from Shifter Mount Bracket

HURST SHIFTER INSTALLATION
1. Grease the Hurst shifter pivot ball and shifter pin with the supplied grease Hint: Apply a liberal amount of grease on the ball and smooth over with your finger

2. Install the plastic pivot socket on to the Hurst shifter, ensure to align the shifter pin with the hole in the socket Hint: Turn Hurst shifter upside down and push the socket onto the ball after aligning shifter pin with the hole in the socket

3. Grease the crossover cable lever rod where you previously removed the plastic bushing and reinstall the plastic bushing, proceed to grease the outside of the plastic bushing as well Hint: Apply a liberal amount of grease on the rod and smooth over with your finger, repeat for the plastic bushing

4. Install Hurst shifter and pivot socket into the Hurst pivot housing

5. Install spring onto crossover lever rod and install onto Hurst Pivot Housing, ensuring spring is installed under tension as it was when it was removed, make sure to replace the "E" clip after installation Hint: Place spring onto Hurst Pivot Housing and place it under tension on the support, hold spring in place over the hole while installing crossover lever assembly

6. Install the Hurst pivot housing onto 1st gen shifter mounting bracket and replace the 3 nuts (8mm Socket and 1/4 Driver) NOTE: The shifter assembly is now complete. If you have aftermarket shifter bushing this is the time to install them, if not than proceed to shifter assembly installation instructions.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:33 pm

Got any pics of the installed unit? I always assumed it was the same as the old Hurst for Neons, but this thing looks pretty sweet.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

SlvrACR
1GN Registrant

Post by SlvrACR » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:39 pm

I only have the pics of it on the 2nd gen base. I only tested it out for a friends 1st gen before I installed in in my car.

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:40 am

That looks really nice! Anyone got a comparison between that and a Maddog STS?

I've tried to avoid all the retro shit with my ACR, but that's pretty damn cool. If it worked as good as a Maddog I'd definitely consider getting one.
suave23 wrote:Can you imagine how much pussy you'd pull if you had a pet monkey riding your pet dog with you everywhere you went?

SlvrACR
1GN Registrant

Post by SlvrACR » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:51 am

Its only a 35% reduction so its not as small as the Maddog. But the shifts are alot smoother then the MP one

robert 'bob' paulson
1GN Registrant

Post by robert 'bob' paulson » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:21 am

Vinny wrote:Anyone got a comparison between that and a Maddog STS?
here's a Maddog 50% along side my stock shifter (with a cut rod)
i can replace that one with a bigger picture if need be too. (up to 2080X1544)
i guess someone beat me to this, huh Diablo?

Vinny
Administrator

Post by Vinny » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Nah it's cool, I have my own pics I took comparing my Maddog Race model with the B&M that came in my ACR. Thanks though, as cool as that Hurst Looks I'll probably stick with my Maddog/Sparco knob combo.

BlackRT?
1GN Registrant

Post by BlackRT? » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:33 pm

does anyone have pics of it installed?
98 Black r/t 2.4L w/boltons

Caustic
1GN Registrant

Post by Caustic » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:49 pm

The real problem with this swap is finding soem one who has these damn things in stock. I called modern , jegs, and summit all ore out of stock.

SlvrACR
1GN Registrant

Post by SlvrACR » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:13 pm

I heard they are no longer being made