ghetto blaster??

drifterz73
1GN Registrant

ghetto blaster??

Post by drifterz73 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:08 pm

Hello to all of you out there..kinda new here.. recent owner of a 1st gen 97 sohc.... been looking thru the threads, and came across the ghetto blaster mod. but the one thing i havent been able to find out is how long to make the tube? and what everyone has decided as far as the intake should actually run into the tube???...should the runners be flush inside or protrude inside a little bit...thanx for the info for the ones that can help... and yes ive searched multiple forums.. and i can not find what i am looking for.

DOHCRT
1GN Registrant

Post by DOHCRT » Mon May 31, 2010 11:04 pm

Ideally, the runners should be flush with the inside of the tube (aka the plenum). I don't think there is an exact length for the plenum, its kind of a cut to fit deal. This is, after all, a ghetto mod. Im sure someone has posted measurements somewhere, you just have to dig for them. Changing the length of the runners or the plenum will effect how the manifold works with the engine, so someones random measurements may not work as good for you as it did them. There is a science to runner length and plenum volume, so you may want to research that before you hack away at it.
"Losers always whine about their 'best'. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen"

Project Log

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:31 am

You need to radius the runners on the inside to promote velocity and cut down on turbulence. Turbulence in the intake kills velocity and performance. The bad thing is there is no easy way to do this on a ghetto blaster. This is a pic of my box manifold, for the best performance the runners should look like these do inside the plenum. But it will be near impossible to do. I read somewhere the plenum should be around 1 liter in volume, that seems small to me. Just don't make it so long it hits your p/s pump.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

drifterz73
1GN Registrant

ghetto blaster??

Post by drifterz73 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:43 pm

thanx for the info guys...buddy of mine gonna trade me an xtra intake mani for my ac stuff. and my dad has the 3" pipe i need. already have a kirk lth,megan front strut bar, short ram intake, working on the 5sp swap, trying to find the mpp ecu or dohc ecu, thinking bout the spiral flow resonator and camaro style muffler with the square tips, has an aftermarket r/t hood,unknown body kit front and rear, getting the wings west side skirts soon. thanx for the info guys... Jamieely, and dohcrt... dohcrt you are greenwood, the guy i got my header from and body kit lives up in greenwood..