How To: Jeep 60mm TB Mod for neon "uploaded pic's"

2.4tneon
1GN Registrant

How To: Jeep 60mm TB Mod for neon "uploaded pic's"

Post by 2.4tneon » Tue May 15, 2007 10:57 pm

these are 98' style jeep 6 cyl. "automatic" Throttle Bodies. here is my How To. hope you like it.

the top left is a manual TB, the top right is an auto TB and the bottom one is the jeep TB. notice the difference where the throttle cable attaches. if your using a manual TB you can use the jeeps IAC sensor, but if you using an auto TB then you have to modify it some. you have to pull and losen the sensor tip and put the jeeps sensor tip on your sensor. it might be hard but it will losen up.

this is the jeep TB close up

this is the manual TB close up

and this is the auto TB close up

this is the difference between the neons butterfly and the jeeps.

-first remove all the sensors from both TB's

-on the neon TB's you have a pin on the TPS sensor side that this off and then the center will slide out. heres a pic of it

-next is the hardest part you have to modify your neons throttle thing. (lol dont know what else to call it) you have to take an 1/8th inch off of this plastic spacer. here is a pic of an unmodified one next to a modified one

- next you have to widein the slot for the jeeps butterfly to fit into your throttle thing. heres a pic of a modified one next to an un modified one.

- you have to widein two of the holes to bolt the jeep TB to your stock manifold. here is a pick of a stock TB on the (RIGHT) and a modded TB on the (LEFT). i marked the part that needs to be cut in black marker.

-then you can put your throttle thing into the jeeps TB.

- after you do that you will notice that you will notice that it wont open and close freely you have to cut some of the TB so that the throttle thing clears the TB and moves freely. heres a pic of an unmodified one on the (BOTTOM) and a modified one on the (TOP).
herea another pic

-then put the jeeps butterfly in place and bolt it in.

-then bolt your sensors onto the jeeps TB. heres a pic of a modded manual TB.
and heres a pic of an automatic (LEFT) and a manual (RIGHT)

Can i have a 1gn.org sticker now?.. :D[/img]
Last edited by 2.4tneon on Wed May 16, 2007 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
97' 2 door with a 99' 2.4

it all comes down to people not having the knowledge, being scared, or being lazy. Without those things you can save a bunch of money in life!

99dohcneon
1GN Registrant

Post by 99dohcneon » Wed May 16, 2007 9:33 am

when are you going to upload the rest of the pics? How much did you have to cut off the tb to get it to open smoothly? What did you use?
99 neon with 2.4 swap w/ 2.0 cams, afx race ecu, 60mm jeep tb, cai, header, polished intake, straight pipe with no muffler, poly. inserts, pt clutch, B&M sts w/booger bushing and skunk2 springs. 14.3 (gtech) 2.5 60 foot :O

'98 neon rt srt swap w/20g turbo ran on MS 18psi Project log
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_game_rock

2.4tneon
1GN Registrant

Post by 2.4tneon » Wed May 16, 2007 10:56 am

sometime today.. whenever i get a chance.. i cut an 1/8th inch off that too. its not hard i used a hacksaw and then grinded it smooth.

it all comes down to people not having the knowledge, being scared, or being lazy. Without those things you can save a bunch of money in life!

boostedimporttuner
1GN Registrant

question!!!

Post by boostedimporttuner » Thu May 24, 2007 2:46 pm

what kind of jeep do i get the throttle body off of? (wrangler cherokee.....?) and what years?

2.4tneon
1GN Registrant

Post by 2.4tneon » Thu May 24, 2007 4:28 pm

im not sure how manny years this TB was on them but its the 98 style cherokee.. "strait 6" not the 4 cyllinder. and "AUTO"

racyneon
1GN Registrant

Post by racyneon » Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 pm

about how much can you buy these for from a yard?
98 r/t: 2.0L=3 spun rod bearings. Starting 2.4L build with srt internals.
14.5@98mph 5psi
srt turbo, stock intercooler, stock downpipe, mpx pulley, 2.5" catback, maddog sts.

2.4tneon
1GN Registrant

Post by 2.4tneon » Thu May 24, 2007 8:58 pm

racyneon wrote:about how much can you buy these for from a yard?
at my yard there 55 with sensors.. anywhere from 45 - 65...

boostedimporttuner
1GN Registrant

kool

Post by boostedimporttuner » Sun May 27, 2007 12:41 pm

aight dude thanx imma go get 1 and c wat i can do with it, i can prolly get 1 for free, i know people with junkyards and by the way how hard was the 2.0 to the 2.4 swap?

racyneon
1GN Registrant

Post by racyneon » Tue May 29, 2007 9:39 pm

Just bought one today for $45 and after taking it apart and cleaning it I realized it is not actually 60mm. Right after the throttle plate it narrows down to 55mm. No big deal though. Ill just take it to the drill press open that part up. Just thought Id let everyone know.
14.5@98mph 5psi
srt turbo, stock intercooler, stock downpipe, mpx pulley, 2.5" catback, maddog sts.

racyneon
1GN Registrant

Post by racyneon » Thu May 31, 2007 3:04 pm

So how do you get the IAC to work because i tryed to install it but the sensor hits the runner in the intake manifold.
14.5@98mph 5psi

ShelbyTurbo
1GN Registrant

Post by ShelbyTurbo » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:09 pm

I noticed that problem when I modded one too, I'm looking to flip it around and extend the IAC wiring to make it work.

Also, how do you cover the stock IAC hole in the manifold? It looks like that you can't cover it completely with the Jeep TB.
'98 Neon R/T Sedan ------> 15.6 @ 88mph, with a crappy 2.4 60ft.

"If you can't Duck-it, F@#% It!"

racyneon
1GN Registrant

Post by racyneon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:22 pm

I'm looking to flip it around and extend the IAC wiring to make it work.
I did this and it works fine.
Also, how do you cover the stock IAC hole in the manifold?
I found a cone shaped piece of rubber at a hardware store and it fits great.
14.5@98mph 5psi

2.4tneon
1GN Registrant

Post by 2.4tneon » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:28 pm

ShelbyTurbo wrote:how do you cover the stock IAC hole in the manifold? It looks like that you can't cover it completely with the Jeep TB.
yes your correct.. very easy fix.. i plan on usinf this manifold and TB setup for good so, i layed a piece of ductape on the inside of the manifold and filled the hole to the top with JB weld and its smooth and hardens like a rock.. n i have a custom box intake manifold so i dont have clearence issues with the sensors so i didnt have to extend any wires..

ShelbyTurbo
1GN Registrant

Post by ShelbyTurbo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:53 pm

I found a large vacuum cap in my tool box junk drawer that fit perfectly, so the whole is now filled, another issue I've come across is how do you get the Throttle cable to work, where would you bolt the bracket to make it work? Any pictures?
'98 Neon R/T Sedan ------> 15.6 @ 88mph, with a crappy 2.4 60ft.

"If you can't Duck-it, F@#% It!"

neonboy96
1GN Registrant

Post by neonboy96 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:55 am

what did you use to make the holes biger i picked one of these jeep tb from the pull a part today for 5.00 i got the only one thay had :) i came home and took a old stock tb and the jeep tb to make my 60mm for my neon its just i need to make the holes biger