crank sensor on the brink???

Tracing a wiring issue, or maybe have questions regarding an aftermarket security system? Post any non-audio related electrical questions here.
96neon45135
1GN n00b

crank sensor on the brink???

Post by 96neon45135 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:13 pm

ok so ive been having issues with my 96 neon. every now and then it misses and carries on. then it wont start once you turn it off. but, if i get under it and unplug the crank sensor, then plug it in, it will start and run fine. is it the plug or the sensor itself thats giving me issues? my gf drove it to work this morning, she said it was hesitating again and backfired, now wont start. its never backfired before, wats up with that? is my sensor taking a crap on me? its got 400k miles on it and i just now started acting up. i accuired the car about 4 months ago and the guy that previously had it didnt have to do any major work to it at all. not too long ago, i had to repair the orange wire going to the crank sensor and it worked great for about 2 days, then started doing this missing and not starting crap. but the motor runs great when it starts up, the only bad thing is that i have to get under the car to unplug the crank sensor. what a pain in the ass! I also have another 96 neon now, and this is the 3rd gen1 that ive had, so i'm used to the common probs. BUT this is rediculous!!

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 pm

It's more than likely the plug but if you buy a new sensor it will come with a new plug because they changed the connector in 96. 95 early 96 had a faulty plug. There was a TSB about it back in the day. If it was me I would go to the junkyard and get a sensor and connector from a junkyard off a 97 and up neon. A mopar part from a junkyard is way more reliable than a shitty chinese crank sensor from autozone or advance. I went through this about 4 years ago with my 95, symptoms sound exactly like mine. If i just touched my crank sensor connector with a finger I could make the car cut out and die.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on

96neon45135
1GN n00b

Post by 96neon45135 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:33 am

my sensor was cracked right at the o ring. it broke in half when i barely pulled on it, had to pull the oil pan to get it out. unfortunately my spare one off of one of my other motors was the same way. lol i got smart and checked it out before i tried to install it. now i gotta get a new one for it, and damn are they expensive!!

96neon45135
1GN n00b

Post by 96neon45135 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:06 pm

well i got it installed, got the new pigtail that came with it wired in, hit the key, and badabing............. back on the road

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:05 am

96neon45135 wrote:well i got it installed, got the new pigtail that came with it wired in, hit the key, and badabing............. back on the road
Thats awesome news.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on