Electrical problems

Tracing a wiring issue, or maybe have questions regarding an aftermarket security system? Post any non-audio related electrical questions here.
Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Electrical problems

Post by Wolfemancola » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 pm

So... my neon has a bad electrical problem. at first it was over charging from 17-21 volts, so i changed the altinator and battery. nothing changed. so i changed the pcm and it stopped over charging for about 2 weeks, then the same thing happend again. then one day i started messing aroun with the wires to find a broken one and now its not charging at all. its at 11.9-12 volts when running now and 12.6 volts when the car is off.

one day i tried starting my car and the starter motor wouldn't do anything, so i took it off and tested it and it works perfectly. so i put it back on and now it starts but sometimes while the engine is running, you can hear the starter gear kick in by it self with out touching the key and it makes a bad grinding noise and smells really bad.and just resently the starter will not work at all AGAIN... so it must all be bad wiring or something.

If any one can help me out, or has any suggestions that would be great, im getting very frustrated.
also does any one have a full wiring diagram of a 1998 plymouth neon altinator to pcm? if so thanks!
My car:
1998 Plymouth Neon EX 2-door coupe DOHC 5-speed with Cruise Control
ATX Throttle body, 3.0 intake with K&N filter, Mopar PCM, mopar motor mount with inserts, Booger Bushings, Rear view mirror with dual lights.

ricker91878
1GN Registrant

Post by ricker91878 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Have you checked the relays? Sounds like a bad harness, check with autozone.com for a wiring manual you have to have an account set up but thier is no charge, if you search alternator it should pull up diagrams for it.
99 2 dr R/T DOHC coupe, all the bells and whistles...

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:50 pm

ricker91878 wrote:Have you checked the relays? Sounds like a bad harness, check with autozone.com for a wiring manual you have to have an account set up but thier is no charge, if you search alternator it should pull up diagrams for it.
well i did check a few of the relays but not all of them. and thanks for help, i managed to find the wiring diagrams on autozone.com. it really helps, thanks again. if anyone else has any other suggestions, let me know
My car:
ATX Throttle body, 3.0 intake with K&N filter, Mopar PCM, mopar motor mount with inserts, Booger Bushings, Rear view mirror with dual lights.

ricker91878
1GN Registrant

Post by ricker91878 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:59 pm

No problem buddy, hope ya get it fixed!
99 2 dr R/T DOHC coupe, all the bells and whistles...

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:34 am

I don't mean to double post, but i gave up. it's too much work and i got better things to do, so on monday i'm going to jump start it and drive it to a garage and pay them to fix it. i know it is probably going to cost quite a bit but oh well, plus i already made the appointment.
My car:

Wolfemancola
1GN Registrant

Post by Wolfemancola » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:48 am

oh, looks like im going for a triple post. i don't think that any one really cares, but i thought i'd post how i fixed this problem incase it happens to any one else.
So i brought my neon the a local garage since i couldn't figure it out my self. so while driving it to the garage, the starter motor randomly kicked in and made a bad grinding noise and then it wouldnt start any more. So i had to pay $40 for a tow truck to bring it to the garage. My mechanic told me the starter problem was my fault. apperently i was stupid and wired the starter wrong when i had replaced it with another used starter. so now that starter is cooked so i got a newly rebuilt one and he wired it properly now also. now for over charging problem. my mechanic couldnt find the problem so he changed my altinator and put in some new wires. still over charging at 19 volts. so his last resort was he bolted on an old volt regulator (computerized cars dont have these) that my dad had as a spair for his 1972 Plymouth Duster drag car. after that it's charing at around 14.8 Volts at all times. so at the end of it it cost me $700 cash under the table and he didnt charge me for tax since he knows my dad pretty well. well i've been driving it for about 300km so far and no problems yet, and today i bought a K&N drop-in direct replacement high flow panel air filter for $55 at my local Canadian Tire shop but i havent had time to put it in yet. does anybody else have one? notice any improvements? the K&N part # is 33-2087 for all 1st gen neons btw
My car: