99 neon, ground wire problem by fuel tank. HELP

Tracing a wiring issue, or maybe have questions regarding an aftermarket security system? Post any non-audio related electrical questions here.
MCG89
1GN n00b

99 neon, ground wire problem by fuel tank. HELP

Post by MCG89 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:08 pm

I have a 99' dodge neon 2.0 DOHC. the car shut off randomly a couple of weeks ago. replaced the cam sensor, crank sensor, engine fuse ( it blew ). when taking off the fuel pump i saw a random ground wire just hanging there. i was told it connects to the fuel tank some where ( plastic fuel tank btw ). im under the car with the fuel pump and all still intact with the fuel tank and cannot, absolutely cannot, find where this ground wire connects to on the fuel tank. someone please help me find out where so it helps the car run. thanks in advance.

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:57 am

If it's not a regular wire and looks woven, it's the ground strap that connects the body to the fuel filler tube. They usually corrode and fall off anyway.

That will have no affect on the car running or not.

I presume you checked the fuel pump and found it working, voltage at the pump right?

By engine fuse, do you mean the yellow 20 amp one?

There has been instances where one of the o2 sensors would get a short and pop that fuse also.

Did you check the fuel pump and the ASD relays?

MCG89
1GN n00b

Post by MCG89 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:48 pm

It's the blue 10 amp fuse in the door jam area

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Ok, that's a 15 amp that supplies voltage to several things, including the PCM, egr solenoid, evap purge solenoid, the Pcm controlled side of the fuel pump relay.

Since this fuse blew, did it blow again?

Otherwise if it did not pop again, you may have a random short in this circuit . It is a light green with black strip wire you will be looking for.

There has been times that the egr solenoid caused a no start condition on these cars. It is attached to the intake tube located on the rear right side of the engine bay. Try unplugging the electrical connector on that.

MCG89
1GN n00b

Post by MCG89 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Ok cool, I'll check that. But that fuse keeps blowing

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:11 am

Then you definitely have a short in that circuit.