help

Tracing a wiring issue, or maybe have questions regarding an aftermarket security system? Post any non-audio related electrical questions here.
neonfighter86
1GN Registrant

help

Post by neonfighter86 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:23 pm

The battery in my car keeps getting the drained the battery is fairly new I check all the wires that go to the battery the ground ,positive I've cleaned out and it keeps happening does anybody have an idea what is might be thanks. Also. For go to add that when the battery dies I charge it and all the car does is sit at the moment so I don't drive it daily
If everything seems to be in control, you're not going fast enough.

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Your Alternator is toast. Or check the plug that connects to the back of te alternator, its a gray plug with 2 wires that go into it. Sometimes the inside of that plug will break apart (it's plastic). Happened to me 2 times.

Alternators are about $120 at the part store, or I got a used one for $40 + shipping... we will need to verify the plug on the back of yours though because there are 2 different plug styles.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

neonfighter86
1GN Registrant

Post by neonfighter86 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks man. So even if the car is sitting for like 2days the alternador will drain it?

BaLLisTiK
1GN Registrant

Post by BaLLisTiK » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 am

If it's sitting for 2 days, and not driven or started and the battery is dead... That means the battery is defective. If its a newer battery, find out what the warranty is because it is possible to get a brand new battery and it be defective.
boostless_98 wrote:I want to hear wat everyone has to say on the idea of right hand drive neon conversion. I know it can be gotten from australia.
Ianguilly wrote:Just drive from the passenger side.

neonfighter86
1GN Registrant

Post by neonfighter86 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks again.

jamieely
1GN Registrant

Post by jamieely » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:53 am

You need to check for a short if its draining just sitting. Never in my neon but a couple other cars I had did this. Twice the alternator was shorted and the other time it was a shorted headlight switch. A short can cause a constant drain on the battery. Charge the battery and leave it disconnected to see if the battery is toast. I never checked for a short on my neon but you used to be able to pull the negative cable off the battery and hook a test light up between the negative post an negative cable. If the light comes on you had a short, start pulling fuses until the light goes out, if it didnt go out unplug the alternator and see if that killed the short. This may or may not work on cars nowadays.
1995 Highline Coupe SOHC MTX.
DOHC Mopar PCM
e85, 30lb injectors, LM-1, SAFC
Custom CAI, 60mm MPx TB, AMM Box Intake, DOHC pistons, built4race UDP
PT Clutch, 3.94 FD
AF/X LTH, High Flow Cat, Spiral Flow, 2.5" piping, Flowmaster 80 series

P&P Magnum head, Crane springs, Crane 007, AEM 3-bolt cam gear almost ready to bolt on