Turn Signal, High Beams causes odd gauge reading

Tracing a wiring issue, or maybe have questions regarding an aftermarket security system? Post any non-audio related electrical questions here.
caffeinetripp
1GN n00b

Turn Signal, High Beams causes odd gauge reading

Post by caffeinetripp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:25 pm

When the turn signals are blinking or when the brights are on, the temperature sensor goes from normal to hot pretty quickly.
That's about all the information that I can give. We've replaced the fuses for the lights that illuminate the gauge cluster, since they wouldn't turn on before, but other than the gauge cluster fuses, we're not sure what other problems it might be. Possible ECU? Bad alternator? Bad battery? Have not yet checked for faulty connections from the fuse box to the gauge cluster and the coolant temperature sensor, but that's on the list of things-to-do.
Not sure what the problem might be at all, have asked around with some local car people and they haven't a clue. Wondering if anyone on here might know what this problem might be?

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:27 pm

aybe a loose connection or shorted connection in the cluster itself, try swappin gout the cluster or the circuit board on the back if your up to it. Also at least then you'll know right away if it is or isn't the cluster or guages....

caffeinetripp
1GN n00b

Post by caffeinetripp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:40 pm

After tearing into the dash, we found something terrifying. A rat's nest of wires that really didn't need to be there. Connectors spliced into the ignition system, cut wires, 16+ pin connector that doesn't go anywhere so on and so forth.
After a little fooling around, we got the temperature sensor to finally work out, but the gas gauge itself may not, could be just that low on gas.
We were thinking that it might have had something to do with the blinker relay since when the blinker would blink the gas gauge and temp. gauge would move along with the blinking, other than a nice little dance from the needles, it was annoying and wouldn't show the correct reading.
Ah, and is there any place online where I could get pictures of a wiring diagram to fix the shoddy workmanship? I'm a little short on cash and was hoping there might be a good place that would show the whole nine yards for the SOHC; engine, chassis, and everything.

Archametes
1GN Registrant

Post by Archametes » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm not sure about online but I know the Haynes Manuals and Chilton's manuals have them decently printed out...