Won't rev, no fuel? gas gauge quit too...

Tracing a wiring issue, or maybe have questions regarding an aftermarket security system? Post any non-audio related electrical questions here.
guyd_15
1GN Registrant

Won't rev, no fuel? gas gauge quit too...

Post by guyd_15 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:21 am

This problem is happening intermittantly. Filled the gas tank so it's got gas. Won't rev up, stalls and gas gauge started showing empty at the same time. No fuel leaks.

The 2 problems seem related so I checked the connector at the fuel pump, it's not loose (that would have been to easy).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Guy

chipdogg
1GN Registrant

Post by chipdogg » Wed May 21, 2008 11:50 am

Sounds like you are loosing something at the pump itself. Can you hear the pump running when it happens? Got a volt meter and a manual? I think there are two separate power feeds though...

If it's intermittant, it's probably a connection issue. Unplug it and check for corrosion. The fuel sending unit may be bad as well.

If you have a volt meter and can read a wire diagram, and have one, it shouldn't take too much to figure out the issue. Especially if you drop the tank and remove the fuel pump assembly. You can test the level sender with an ohm meter and you can test the pump itself with jumper wires and a bucket of diesel or water. DON'T use gasoline, you'll start a fire.

We tested my buddy's pump the other day with a bucket of water, shit shoots it pretty far lol.
'97 black ACR coupe- #3 - Scrappy
'96 black coupe- #4
'97 magenta coupe- #10 - 13.379 @ 101.07 mph
'04 SXT mtx - #45 - GF's DD
'96 ACR
'95 Astro Van
'11 Chevy Express
'02 atx - #48
'98 Intense Blue R/T - #49
'04 SRT-4 - #50
'99 Intense Blue R/T - #51

52 and counting, when will it stop?

guyd_15
1GN Registrant

Post by guyd_15 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks, it looks like I'm off to get a new fuel pump. It won't run at all. Pulled it and hooked directly to battery it won't even run. I remember looking at it back in January and thinking "Hmmm, a Walbro knock off made in China. I hope it lasts." I guess I know thw answer now.

Guy

metal_gear_jon
1GN Registrant

Post by metal_gear_jon » Thu May 22, 2008 7:21 pm

You know that's funny b/c the factory pumps at least in 95's were made by Walbro. Discovered this when I replaced the rusty steel tank on mom's 95. Factory ones allmost never go out on Neons, that's why fuel pump modules cost so damn much at parts stores.
'98 Alpine Green Coupe turbo fodder
^ Not mine...

http://www.tristateneons.org/ never forget...

Have a lol

Feeding the trolls since '07